Away || Veronica Sawyer

Let's start off with my personal musical crush - Veronica Sawyer

Warnings: Slight angst.

Summary: Y/n is leaving Sherwood. Veronica wants her to stay. Three years later, y/n decides to pay a visit to the place she wanted nothing more than to stay in.

____________________________________

I open my front door to find my dad standing before me, his arms crossed. What did I do now?

"Pack up." My heart stops.

"W... What?"

"Pack up. We leave early tomorrow morning. We're going away." This is how he would always tell me we're moving. That we were "going away." As if we'd be coming back.

After a while, I started to give up hope that we would, once I heard those words.

He starts to walk away, but I run in front of him, stopping him.

"What now, y/n?"

"You- You said we'd be staying till I graduate. That's what you told me, dad. You..." I clench my fists. "I have friends now, please..."

"We have to go." I close my eyes.

"I can't just leave them, I-I can't leave... Her." He puts his hands on my shoulders. "We can't leave now, please..."

"I'm not asking, y/n. We're moving to a bigger city where I'll have more opportunities for my job."

"Dad, I have friends here, I can't leave them."

"We're not staying because of your social life," he says firmly. I pull back. "Now... Pack up your bags." I nod.

"Okay. Okay, I will," I say. I know I can't argue with him. I quietly head upstairs, taking away the pieces that made this room mine. Taking away pieces of me, it feels like. I thought I'd be here for a while, so I opened up to my classmates. And I found someone I could be me around. Now it'll all be gone, just like before. I pull the clothes from my closet and put them away.

I pick up the pictures of us from my mirror, of me and my friends. Some blurry, some took mid-laugh, some with actual effort to look good. I stack them neatly, sliding them into my backpack before seeing the final one I left. It almost breaks me. Her arm wrapped tight around me as she took the picture, leaning over my shoulder. The both of us laughing hard. I put it in my pocket before pulling my bags down the stairs. It only takes about an hour for me to clean up all of my things. I leave the house, walking down the street to the 7/11. I pull open the door.

"Hey, y/n," Veronica says, holding a slurpee cup out for me. I try for a smile.

"Thanks." I grab it and take a long drink, then find her fixated on me. "... What?"

"I need to talk to you about something."

"Oh. Okay. Well... What's up?" She fidgets with her sleeve.

"I, um... I've wanted to tell you this for a while." She takes a deep breath. "I like you, y/n. A lot. Some days it feels like a crush is too weak a word. You're just so different from everyone else, and... I really want to be with you." My heart sinks further and further the more she talks. I swallow hard.

"Veronica, I..." I put down the cup and take her hands. I see hope in her eyes, a smile starting to form on her lips. "I... Can't." Her smile falters.

"What?"

"I needed to talk to you, too. I..." I look down. "Veronica, I'm leaving tomorrow." I can see how fast her mood changes.