19. THE FRIEND WHO WILL BETRAY

previously: Valerie is avoiding Bentley as Atlas told her Bentley falls in love with anyone and after he's bored of them he forces them to leave the school. Bentley notices Valerie ignoring him and tells Chandler how sad he feels, Chandler goes to Valerie and shouts at her for treating Bentley and tells her she's nothing without her makeup. Vincent finds Valerie crying and tells her he has seen her behind her makeup and still thinks she's beautiful without it, leading Valerie to have growing feelings for him. Later, Silvia threatens Valerie for not giving enough evidence on Atlas. Atlas confronts Valerie after Valerie shouts at girls in class zero for talking behind Vincent's back and proceeds to ask why she knows so much about Vincent and asked if she lives with Vincent. Valerie lies and tells him that she's Vincent's cousin.

 Valerie lies and tells him that she's Vincent's cousin

19 : THE FRIEND WHO WILL BETRAY

first person
VALERIE

"See ya, Vincent's cousin." Atlas gives me one last look before leaving.

Cousin, out of all the lies I could think of, that was the most appropriate one. Once Vincent hears this, he'll laugh at my stupid mistake.

"C-Cousin." the sound of a distraught voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

Bentley heard everything.

My eyes widen. "I-I uh... what are you doing here Bentley?" he frowns deeply at my words, taking a few steps closer towards me.

"Tell me I heard it all wrong," he whispers, his eyes were gleaming with an emotion I couldn't decipher. "Are you even listening to me Valerie!" he slams his hand on the desk, causing me to flinch.

I could tell from the way he used my name, he was serious. But what was wrong?

Before I could open my mouth, Bentley shakes his head. "Impossible, he does not have blood related relatives." his tone was dropping. I've never seen Bentley like this, his serious and aggressive aura was frightening.

His eyes trail down my face. "Are you going to stand there, Valerie?" his harsh tone shocks me. This isn't the kindhearted boy I knew.

"I'm confused, why are you mad Ben?" for a split second Bentley visibly relaxed.

But that moment was short lived.

He scoffs. "After everything, you have the guts to call me that." I gulp, taking a step back, for some reason my brain could not register him as a cold person.

"Who are you Valerie? Why are you here?" Bentley takes a step closer, the veins on his necks were visible as he spoke with a hostile tone. "You're not Vincent's cousin, why did you lie to Atlas?"