4. THE TROUBLE WITH FRIENDSHIPS

04 : the trouble with friendships

first person.
VALERIE

ATLAS LEANS DOWN, his bewitching eyes examining my face attentively as he held my water bottle. His aura screamed danger, through his nonchalant expression I could notice his power. This was the boy who became rich overnight, he must be unquestionably intelligent.

"No, she's my friend, Valerie," Ben says, a boyish smile appearing on his pretty face.

Atlas looks at him, a frown appearing on his celestial face. His frown grew more profound as he glances at me once again, he didn't seem comfortable. "Don't you remember the other girl you became friends with Bentley? Do you want that to repeat all over again?"

Ben's smile falls in an instant, his eyes grew melancholic as he faced Atlas. "You promised not to talk about her, Valerie is nothing like her, she's the opposite, she's smart, pretty and kind."

"Pretty, tch," Atlas says inimically, his eyes browsing me with aversion. "Friendships aren't based on looks, you should know that better than anyone Bentley."

"Who is he?" Chandler whispers vehemently, his words prompt Atlas to focus his attention on us. Chandler lacked brain cells, he seemed to forget our conversation with Silvia about Atlas. "Isn't he the guy we—" before he could complete his words I shove a piece of fruit into his mouth.

Atlas gaze grew icy. "Looks like you've made more than one friend today, two birds with one stone, two idiots if I rephrase my statement." his words were laced with venom, he seemed to dislike the idea of new friendships.

"Idiots?" I stood up, meeting his judgemental eyes.

Atlas laments, glancing around the cafeteria before returning his gaze on to me. "Could we handle this privately? I don't see the need for you to confront me around others." his words reminded me of stones, unmoved and still.