13. IT ALL STARTS TODAY

13 : IT ALL STARTS TODAY

first person
VALERIE

WHY ARE PEOPLE so controlling? Do they randomly claim a person and decide they'll choose how this person lives? Atlas doesn't seem to understand that Ben is able to choose who he decides to befriend. Is it really worth attempting to get into Class Zero with my friendship with Ben at stake?

I glance at the textbooks resting on the sleek white desk. I want to prove Atlas wrong. I clench my fists, it bothered me how nonchalant and rude he is.

I can get into Class Zero if I tried. But it's hard, these questions are difficult. I tiredly glance at the math question in front of me, it was the same exact question Atlas corrected. Am I really no match for him?

"Don't tell me you're going to give up?" I jump at the sudden sound of Vincent's voice. Right, we live together. But why is he in my room?

"What are you doing here?"

Vincent rolls his eyes. "I can hear you complain from my room, it's getting annoying."

"Mind your own business." I mumble, standing up abruptly.

Vincent chuckles. "Really. You clearly want to get into my class, why don't you take my advice?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "And why would I do that?"

He takes a seat on my bed. I raise my eyebrows immediately. "I don't know, you just seem like you really need to get into Class Zero. The least I could do for you as a good person is help you with your studies."

"Did your mom put you up to this?"

"Yes." and with those words I finally believe him. It makes sense for Vincent to only do what his mother asks of him.

"I wonder what she threatened you with this time. Let me guess, she'll take away your designer clothes?"

Vincent shakes his head. "She told me that I don't have to let you inside my car anymore in exchange for tutoring you, I think that's a fair deal." he smirks, leaning his back on the head board.

"Only you can be this childish, I wonder why you hate me so much." I mumble, tidying up my messy desk. Every conversation we seem to have is bad.

"I personally don't like anyone, it's how I am. Hate is a strong word, if you're wondering why I'm like this — maybe you should try being better at the task you were set." his words cause my body to freeze. He knows? Is he aware of what happened to him?