17. BEAUTIFUL

17 : BEAUTIFUL

third person
PERSPECTIVE

ATLAS ACE HAS ALWAYS wondered how different his life would be if he met somebody who taught him how to truly live. Ever since he noticed her, he understood there was more to life. It's extraordinary how fate brought him to watch her run that day, a year ago. Viscaria, the most hardworking track runner ever.

He recalls going with Zenith, back when they were friends, across the country to participate in a marathon for charity. At first Atlas was reluctant to go but after a few persuasive phrases from Zenith, he finally decided to attend the event.

Before the marathon started, there was a 1500m track race. And that's when Atlas noticed Viscaria, a relatively tall girl with a flashy blue hair tie wrapped around her wrist. From the beginning he found himself indulged in her, most importantly, he couldn't help but watch her practise before the race. He watched her struggle for twenty minutes, polishing her running position and practising breathing exercises.

Atlas was shocked at how someone could be so determined.

And as the whistle blew, he watched as she ran past her competitors. The momentum, the look of determinism, Atlas was astonished. It's as if the wind paraded along to her tunes and the faster she ran, the more absorbed he felt. He couldn't believe someone like her existed, with her in existence, Atlas felt motivated to work harder, to be better - so he could accomplish greater.

"Viscaria, first place!" the commentator alerts the crowd. Atlas smiled for once, he was actually impressed. He clapped beside everyone else, he saw her as a lantern in the dusk. To him, she was beautiful.

Thirty minutes after Viscaria was declared as the winner for the long-distance race. All the marathon runners were told to assemble together with numbers behind their backs. Atlas surveyed the crowd for Viscaria, only to notice the number on her back, 777. He looked down at his own number, 778. Was it fate that they had only a number different?

Before he could approach her, Zenith stops him. "Where are you going?"

Atlas could see Viscaria walking away. "Just to talk to someone, give me a few minutes." but just as he says so, the whistle was blown and all the people taking part in the marathon began to run. Atlas felt upset, all he wanted was one conversation - he admired her determinism and struggled with his own. All he wanted was some advice on how to be better and how to accomplish better.

"We don't know anyone here. Take this hat, it's hot and you don't want to pass out from the heat." Atlas takes the hat from Zenith reluctantly. He has to talk to Viscaria one way or another. Instead of staying behind with Zenith, Atlas runs hastily to catch up with her.

He notices her 777 number from afar.

"Viscaria!" Atlas says, capturing the attention of the runner. She was stunned that someone was calling out her name, was this how it felt? To be someone different. Valerie never knew having this alter identity would make people like her better.

"You know me?" she questions, running at the same pace as Atlas.

Atlas lowers his hat. "I saw you run earlier, you're really good." he compliments her, strengthening her confidence that's barely existing. Valerie smiles, this was the first time she had ever obtained such an acknowledgment.

"I appreciate it," she says, she felt like she was on cloud nine. Someone praising her for something she did as a hobby felt exhilarating.

"How do you do it? It's as if you never give up."