8. VINCENT

08 :  VINCENT

08 :  VINCENT

first person.
VALERIE

I GLARE AT THE BACK OF Atlas' head. Mistakes are all that run through his mind, always picking on me for making the smallest errors; who does he think he is? It's only the first day of school and I'm already starting to regret attending this school.

"Why learn math when you have a calculator?" Chandler exclaims as Ben nodded his head in agreement. Really. These two live in their own worlds.

"There's very little to do with a calculator if we don't learn it then how else will we understand deeper concepts?" Atlas says, scanning his phone as he spoke nonchalantly. There he goes again, acting like he knows everything.

"True but they should leave it to the smart kids. Forcing it on people like me is sad. God made me stupid so I shall remain stupid, right?" Chandler says, raising his hands up in the air with distress. "When will this torture end? I just want to do something I like."

Atlas glances at him with a confused expression. "You got into this school, chances are that you're not stupid." I'm surprised by his sudden kindness. This robot will never fail to surprise me.

"I guess but nothing compared to everyone here."

"Just think about yourself, be selfish and focus on you and you only, that's how you succeed in life." Atlas stops in front of the exit, facing Chandler with a look of acknowledgement. "If you continue to care about what other people are doing, you will never succeed in life, kid."

And with those words, he leaves.

Chandler rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "Why does he call me kid? I'm only a year younger."

Ben smiles. "He's like that, you should listen to his words. Look at where he is in life now, he doesn't care about what others say about him, he lives to live and doesn't bother with negativity in his life. I wish I could be like Atlas."