Chapter 4

couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was my father calling me. I was thinking, did I do something this time? Or did I leave something behind? Why would he call me? I mean, sure, he does call to check up on me but normally that call won’t last too long. I do feel happy when he calls but sometimes I don’t see the emotion in his voice the way he has it when he speaks to my brother. 

Sometimes it’s just scary because I’m not quite sure what the conversation will be based on. For one, I’ve been trying to hide from the marriage topic because I’m just not ready for that yet. I want to enjoy my life a bit get to heal and learn my eternal happiness.

I was hesitant to answer it because I wasn’t certain what the call was going to be about. Even predicting it made me anxious. But I mustered up the courage and answered it.

Father -“Lucy? Hi. How are you?”

Lucy - “Umm….Hello father. I’m fine (I think). How are you?”

Father - “I’m alright dear…..Just wanted to inform you that there will be a dinner party at my friend’s place and he said all of the family should come. It’s on Saturday so don’t be late.”

Lucy - “Oh…Is it necessary for me to come? I mean I have some work here and there to do.”

Should I say that my heart sank a little that this was the reason he called? I didn’t want to go to whatever party it is. What does it have to do with me??

Father - “Well I wouldn’t ask you if it wasn’t important. Will you be able to come? Also, are you eating well?”

I think a lot of people might portray that parents don’t love or care for me. It’s absolutely nothing like that. I guess they are just too shy to show it directly because it would be awkward for them but indirectly when see the whole picture together you will be able to see that they really do. They never pressured me about school and asked me multiple times to get tuitions but I rejected cause I knew when I used to go to tuition it wouldn’t ever help me.

I don’t why till today I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t deal with their method. What they taught me wasn’t so clear to me. What I hated the most was the homework they would give separately. As if school wasn’t enough for me. So I would normally ask my friends since they knew how to explain it my way.

Lucy - “I have been eating fine. Hope you are too. And alright father, I will attend the dinner.”

Father - “Yes I am eating well and glad that you can come. It’s this week on Saturday, at 7:00 clock.”

Lucy - “Okay, father. Take care. I will call you some other time.”

Father - “Yeah, of course. Take care. Bye.”

After talking with my father which was kind of unexpected if I may say. I thought to myself why not go out for a walk in the park? Sometimes in the morning I’d go and it’s peaceful and clears your mind while you’re at it. When I was opening my fridge, I noticed that I didn’t have much left. 

I went to get some groceries as well since I was already going out. I’m not the best chef but I’m still learning along the way. I headed out after changing my clothes. The morning was bright baby blue with clouds mixed in the sky. It all looked so fluffy. I couldn’t help myself and took a few pictures. All of them turned out pretty good.

Not many people were at the park which is good for me since I don’t really enjoy going to crowded places with a lot of noise. It’s all just too much for me. I like to distract myself by looking around at the cute shops and buildings. I was also thinking of what happened last night because I was wondering if I would be able to sleep well today or not. I was also wondering what I should wear to the dinner. I better not go over the top with anything.

 Sometimes, I tend to do that. To tell you truth it’s because I love dressing up. I don’t do that at home since I like to be comfy and wear oversized clothes. Even if I go outside, I don’t like wearing tight-fitted clothes. Absolutely not. Something long and of course comfortable and a bit oversized to my size. So that I don’t look like a balloon or a garbage bag.

After a pleasant walk I went to get my groceries. Luckily the store wasn’t too far away. You know how sometimes you planned out what you’re going to buy but a lot more ends up in your cart? I sometimes tend to go overboard with the amount of chocolate I purchase because I’m obsessed with it. It’s a good stress relieving activity and also becomes a best friend. I know it’s kind of ridiculous to say but I guess that’s one way to put it.

I’m occasionally a picker eater. I suppose it’s all in the mood for me. I try to eat healthy even after moving out. That had to be a main goal. Otherwise my mother wouldn’t had spared me. I was trying to recall what all I needed because I didn’t have much time to make a list. Got to admit, was kind of lazy to write one.

I was about to go to the cashier to proceed to check out and then suddenly I heard someone say 

? - “Hey Lucy??? Is that you?!”

I turned to look around and saw it was Luna. I meet Luna around my university time when I accidentally broke her science project that she worked really hard on. I swear it was a mistake. I could tell she was heartbroken. I tired making up to her and gladly did so. Since then, I’ve known her pretty well. We also had the same major so we got closer that way.

And like I have mentioned earlier, I don’t really do friends like “BFF’s” anymore. But Luna was a great friend who treated me well and with respect. She’s a sweet and caring person who checks on everyone. I do keep in touch with her from time to time.

Luna- “Oh my! It is you! How are you doing?!”

She gave me a big hug and it felt super great to get a hug from someone. Warming and full of love.

Lucy - “I’m doing alright Luna, thank you. What about you?”