Chapter 22

Steven: “Come on sister, let me show you my room.”

Lucy: “Ahh sure. Oh, and this for you Steven.”

Steven: “Aww Sis you got me a gift?!”

Lucy: “Yup, of course. Oh and hand this over to your mother.”

Steven’s mother: “Ohhh you shouldn’t have dear, really. Thank you so much. Steven, what should you say to your sister?”

Steven: “That she’s the best sister ever!!! Oh, thank you so very much for this game console!!”

Lucy: “It’s my absolute pleasure.”

After that, Steven took me upstairs and showed me around his room. And he was telling me about things that were precious to him, such as his toys.

Looking around his room and seeing the toys reminded me of some of my childhood times. Being a kid has its own fun and in fact, now, I want to be a kid again.

As far as I remember, being kids, we don’t have such insecurities, anxiety, and pressure about anything big in particular. We enjoy being kids by playing and having fun. By being so focused on that, we don’t have time to care about such things. Our biggest problems may be that we had a fight with our friend or that we couldn’t have a playdate with our pal. Sleeping was a nightmare for most of us since we just desired to have fun.

People would just adore the little words we say and the actions we did. Give us attention, care, and love. When I was younger, I still remember telling my aunt that I want to grow up and she told me that you wouldn’t want to grow up and said that she wanted to be a kid again. At the time of course, when I think about it I didn’t understand a thing but now as I’ve grown, I wouldn’t mind being a kid.  

Since at that time we think as children when you become older that no one can boss us around and we can do whatever we want, whenever we want to. But the truth is being an adult I feel is much darker than that. Learning to take care of yourself, new responsibilities that we come across, and lots more. There are advantages to it of course but then again, being an adult comes with a price.

Anyway, Steven then gave me a tour around his house, and may I say it was decorated splendidly. The atmosphere of the house was warm and welcoming, just like the owners.

All of the members were there except his brother.

Lucy: “I meet your father in the living area but haven’t met your brother, is he not home yet?”

Steven: “He is probably out right now. Mom did tell him to be back before you would arrive but he just didn’t listen to her.”

Lucy: “Ohhh I see. Well, that’s okay. You’re here and that’s all there is to it.”

As soon we were done with the tour, I asked his mother if she needed any help in the kitchen.

Steven’s mother: “You don’t need to call me ma’am, you can call me Diana, and I’m almost done with everything so no need to worry.”

Lucy: “Would it be okay to address you as Miss Diana?”

Diana: “Sure, no problem.”

Lucy: “Are you sure there isn’t anything I can help you with?”

Diana: “It’s quite alright dear. You can just play with Steven. That would be my biggest help.”

Lucy: “Of course. I’ll go check up on him.”

I played a bit with little Steven up until dinner was served and everything was delicious. Miss Diana is such a great cook and I could tell she put a lot of effort into what she made with love.

Steven: “So from now on you’ll be my babysitter?”

Lucy: “I- umm…have to ask your parents that.”

Diana: “We have no objection against it. If you’re okay with doing it dear, then it’s all good.”

Lucy: “I would be happy to babysit little Steven.”

Steven: “YAAAAYYYYY!!!”

I was glad that I could make him happy, I didn’t think it would mean a lot to him. And besides, by babysitting him I wouldn’t be that lonely either.

Lucy: “Thank you so much for the dinner. Ah, and do message me when you need me to babysit him. I will see whenever I’m free and surely play with him.”

Diana: “You don’t have to thank us. It’s the least I could do.”

Henry: “As his father, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this happy for someone to babysit him, so it’s great to see that he is getting along well with you. Also, next time you come, I’ll cook. I would help Diana with the cooking but got really tired after work so helped clean the house instead.”

Lucy: “Ohhh I see. Everything was absolutely delicious. I really loved the food and I can’t wait to see what you will prepare next time.”

Steven: Do come soon, sister…”

He said while hugging me.

Lucy: “I will don’t worry. Don’t be sad, we’ll meet soon.”

I said to him while hugging him back.

Before I could leave, Miss Diana gave me some of the food that we had and I knew if I would have refused they would probably find a way to place it in my car without me knowing.

I thanked her for her generosity and went to my car.

As I was driving home, I realized that now, I’m not really as lonely as I used to be. I have my friends, brother, the little kittens, and Steven in my life. Life has certainly changed for me for the better.

I was driving home when I got a call from my brother.

Eric: “What are you doing sis? Did I call you at a bad time?”

Lucy: “Nothing much bro. I’m just driving right now.”

Eric: “Ohhh okay then call me when you reach home, okay? Be careful while driving.”

Lucy: “Will do-”

I couldn’t say anything after that because what I saw next shocked me.

A building had caught fire.

Eric: “Lucy??? Hello??”

Lucy: “Brother…..I-”

I was speechless. I had no words because I was mortified by the fire. I stepped out of the car without thinking, leaving my phone inside.

While I was walking around, I was asking if anyone was injured and what had happened. I happened to have seen Scarlet.

Lucy: “Scarlet, what are you doing here? Do you live in this building?!”

Scarlet: “Ahh yea Lucy…but what are you doing here?”

Lucy: “I was driving past and got so scared. Are you okay and alright?? Did you get hurt? Did you inhale too much smoke from the fire?”

Scarlet: “I’m fine Lucy, calm down. All of us got out in time. Apparently one of the apartment’s Air Conditioner caught on fire so that’s what happened. Don’t worry about me I’m fine. I didn’t get injured.”

Lucy: “Oh thank goodness. That’s a relief.”

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice amongst the crowd of people.

Ava: “Scarlet where have you-”

Lucy: “What are you doing here?!”

Ava: “I should be asking you the same thing.”