Chapter 21

Ever since that day, my brother and I almost talk every day with each other. And I can’t tell you how much that means to me. He was the missing piece from my life and now I feel complete. I still didn’t tell him what had traumatized me in the past. I think maybe after some time I might tell him about it. When I feel that I’m ready to tell him. I’m not even sure how he is going to react to it. But I hope that after I do tell him, he is very supportive as he has been with me so far.

The dinner with Steven’s family was happening today. To be honest, it made me nervous just thinking about it. It is somewhat concerning if I would embarrass myself or do something that I would regret. Then after that my brain would think about it at night and make me cry like oh god why did I do that?

I still had time to get ready, so I thought that I would sit down and watch some TV to entertain myself. And then I heard my phone ring. I thought maybe it was just a Gmail notification or something, but to my surprise, it was Emma who had messaged me.

I hadn’t heard from her and I had texted her a very long time ago. So that was surprisingly unusual.

It reminded me of the past me. That girl would check her phone time and time again to see if she had replied or not. But now, since I’ve become more occupied, I just don’t care about that anymore. And I’m glad that I’m not that obsessive over things as I used to be.

She and I just chatted for a bit only, asking how we were and if there were any new changes in our lives. Nothing out of the ordinary. We couldn’t talk for too long because she had to go study for her finals. This sort of thing would happen pretty often before, and it still does. We wouldn’t talk for about maybe 2 months or so, since she was, and still is, so occupied with what she does. That’s just how things were and are, and I don’t know how I feel about it.

One of the reasons I didn’t become a doctor as it takes about 4 years of studying and also, it isn’t my passion. I love studying when I feel like it's pretty much at my own pace. In school, it had always been like you’re just forced to do what you have to do. There is no absolute care about your mental health. You’re taught to do what you’re told, almost like your rights have been taken away from you. If we actually told the truth about why we didn’t do our homework saying that we had guests over, had to help our moms clean, and on top of that, get a good amount of sleep, the teachers most probably still wouldn’t understand. Having to do that all in one day, is a lot more than it sounds. After all of that, I just sighed and only hoped that people would realize that this was a much bigger problem than it should be. Lots of students suffer and are neglected which has even resulted in them taking their own lives.

After I got ready and looked at myself in the mirror, I said to myself, “Lucy you actually look beautiful”. If I was satisfied with my look, then I thought that was all I needed.

Now the only thing left for me to do was to go to their house. I also got them a welcoming gift because it wouldn’t be nice to go empty-handed. I was hoping that the gift I got them wasn’t a crappy one.

To satisfy your curiosity, the gift I got them was a beautiful painting of flowers. The way the artist drew them with the strokes and colors was breathtaking. My mother has always taught me to buy a gift for someone that you would like yourself. For me, if I like something and I know the other person isn’t, then I just observe them and see what they like. I’m not sure a lot of people know this but I observe every little detail about people. When it comes to their style of messaging, to what they like, how they are. Some might think I’m a stalker or something but actually, observing helps in the long run, and in case something goes wrong with the person like they are sad or upset maybe observing might help me. 

Before I left the house, I got messages from the girls asking each other what they were up to. And at first, I was scared that maybe this sort of thing just wouldn’t last very long. But everyone has been trying nonetheless and I couldn’t be happier. They just make my day and I hope it stayed that way.

Looking at the clock I told myself it was probably time to head out or else I could get there late. And as the saying goes “It’s good to be an hour early than a minute late.”

I headed out to their place and was excited to see how Steven would be over the moon to see me.

When I did reach over there, I rang the doorbell and heard Steven screaming from inside “She’s here!!!” and I was just giggling outside because of his cuteness.

As they opened the door and Steven bolted his way to me, he gave me a tight hug and was the most joyful I had ever seen him. Just seeing him radiating this energy, I smiled so brightly.

I can’t even put in words how delighted I was because of it, that my existence can actually make someone happy and jump around like that.

Steven’s mother: “Come on now Steven, you’re going to scare her.”

Lucy: “It’s not a problem. Seeing him happy makes me happy too. So don’t worry.”

Steven: “I missed you so much, sister. I’ve been waiting all day. You know, I didn’t even sleep all night since I knew that today you were coming.”

Lucy: “Aww, my poor baby you should sleep today, okay? You need it so you can become a big boy like your dad.”

Steven: “Yes sister. I will don’t worry.”