30 | last check

30 | last check

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Taking my first step onto the eighth floor of Luxury Travels since almost a month ago, I'm immediately reminded of how much I hate it here. People are scattered around, doing their own thing and chattering to each other halfway across the room.

Like, shut the fuck up and do your damn work.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I can feel a headache coming on. Eyes follow me as I walk towards Roxanne's office and I know that my business is already out there. My walking in here with a pair of jeans, a tank top, and a box solidifying it.

Despite sitting in my apartment for three days, going over what I want to say to the woman I used to respect, I was still stumbling in my head. Even the drive over was filled with me talking to myself and trying to predict what she would say so I could make a comeback.

I know she said not to go in, but I can't let this job go without saying a final something to the woman forcing me to let it go.

Just as I'm about to knock on her door, the familiar blonde-haired conservative woman that is Laurie Hill pops her head from out of her door and sends me a menacing smile.

"I heard about your time in Spain, darlin'. Was it worth getting fired?" Lemme punch her in the face before I go 'cause I've had enough.

Just as I'm about to lunge, the door to Roxanne's office opens and she walks out, "Monique, come in."

Sparing Laurie an annoyed scowl, I follow Roxanne into her office and remain standing as she sits behind her desk.

"Please," She motions to the seat across from her, "Sit."

I shake my head, "I'll stand. I won't be here long anyway. Just came to pick up my last check, drop off my card, and collect the last of my things."

She purses her lips and nods before grabbing her checkbook.

I watch her write my name down and my final amount before sliding it across to me. Taking it with a quiet thank you, I stand there for a moment longer, trying to formulate the words in my head.

"What you did... wasn't fair." I start off, head held high as I look down at her. "You didn't have a right to meddle in my relationship. Not when I was on an assignment and not even after it ended. It didn't impede on my work, it didn't harm anybody, and it sure as hell didn't harm my ability to work. I'm not leaving because of your ultimatum — matter of fact, I still would've dated Mr. Romano regardless, considering it's my life and my relationship. But, you used your position of power and tried to control me with it."