Chapter 22 - The Highwaymen

"Angry people are not always wise." - Jane Austen

We walked into the room, and Lady Catherine peered at me through narrowed eyes. Charlotte and I curtsied, and she turned around, ignoring us, "Ah! Fitzwilliam, there you are."

Once he entered the room, he paused in step and looked at me. His posture straightened as if there was an invisible thread pulling him. It should not have been a surprise to him. My best friend lived right next door; therefore, my visit to her should have been an obvious clue. As he observed me, he unconsciously balled his hands into fists. He snapped out of his trance and bowed towards Lady Catherine, "Aunt."

He addressed Charlotte and I, "Miss Elizabeth. Mrs. Collins."

"You are acquainted?" Lady Catherine looked back at me. This time, regarding me with an importance, albeit with narrowed eyes and scolded, "Fitzwilliam, do not glare so. One would think you were angry with Miss Elizabeth."

I took a shaky breath, "Goodness, I should hope not!"

Lady Catherine's eyes reminded me of an eagle watching its prey before pouncing on it from above. Her eyes were sharp and bright; she missed nothing. She was the daughter of an earl and in her time, was considered a great beauty. Nonetheless, the time had eroded away anything reminiscent of early days. In her present state, she was a tall, large woman. She was plump and reminded one of an angry bull; ready to strike at the sight of red.

Darcy moved towards me, "How is your family?"

"Good." I smiled, "Lydia is much changed. You would not recognize her."

He opened his mouth to speak, but Lady Catherine butted in, "Fitzwilliam, Anne is not feeling well today. But, she shall join us for dinner."

A few minutes afterward, Anne de Bourgh came downstairs. The black dress she wore made her look like a widow instead of a young woman. She did not acknowledge any of us and sat down on the couch opposite her mother. Anne looked defeated as though somebody had told her tragic news. She looked down without making eye contact. I figured trying to talk to her would have been challenging.

After a few awkward moments of silence, dinner was announced, and we walked to the dining room. Darcy walked behind me, and I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck prick. He pulled my seat out for me under Lady Catherine's cold glare. An uneasiness overcame me as the onslaught of Lady Catherine's questions began to take form.

Lady Catherine addressed me, "Your estate falls to Mr. Collins." She looked at Charlotte, "I am glad for you."

Charlotte blushed and sent me an apologetic look, "Thank you, Lady Catherine."

"Do you play and sing?"

"Not well."

"I was told that you sing well."

"Oh." I blushed and looked at Darcy, "Whoever said this must have given me more credit than I deserve."

"Do your sisters play and sing?"

"My younger sister, Mary, does."

"Do you and your sisters draw?"

"No. Not at all."

"Not at all! How shocking," Lady Catherine haughtily said, "Your mother should have taken you and your sisters for the benefit of the masters in London. How many sisters have you?"

"Four, ma'am." I took a sip of my wine, "Three younger and one older."

"Are your younger sisters out?"

I found myself laughing out loud. Everyone looked at me in shock that made me laugh even more. It struck me that I was at Rosings. I was talking to Lady Catherine. It was surreal.