Chapter 31 - The Indecisive Lady

"A man would always wish to give a woman a better home than the one he takes her from; and he who can do it, where there is no doubt of her regard, must, I think, be the happiest of mortals." ~ Jane Austen

Rain pattered against the sliding glass door and balcony. Each droplet hit the black wrought-iron patio furniture with a soft clink. There was a therapy to rain. It was cleansing, leaving behind purity and truth.

Standing with a cup of tea in my hands, I watched the rainfall with a peaceful expression. Cars passed by with the familiar whoosh, a soothing sound. I would never hear the sound of a car passing by once I went back. So, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and listened. A languid grin spread across my lips when I heard another car, the rain ripping against its tires.

My life was no longer lackluster. It was now luminous, well, at least it felt like it. To be in love was great, but, to be loved back was fantastic. Around my waist, he wrapped his arms. I smiled, feeling his warmth spread across my body. We stood like this for a long while, watching the rain drops fall from the London sky. Words were unspoken, a comfortable silence filled the air. There was an understanding. If one of us spoke, it would ruin this magical moment.

Well, we couldn't stand like this forever. Alas. I intended to get up early to call Michael and Pirhana to inform them of my new identity and enlist their help in researching a way to get back. The Hammersmith Library seemed like a good place to start.

I sighed, "I don't want to move."

"Then do not move, my love."

"Mmm," I smiled with pleasure.

"Let us stay like this for a little longer."

I craned my head up, "Do we have a Romeo and Juliet moment here?"

"What?"

"It was the nightingale, and not the lark," I recited, "That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear." I continued, "Or, in translation, I don't want to move, don't move and let's stay like this a little longer."

"Romeo and Juliet had rather pitiful ends. We are far from pitiful."

"Did you think you would lose me?"

He seemed bashful, "Yes. I confess I was worrying you would not take me back."

I laughed, "I thought about it."

He sighed, his ears turning pink, "I apologize, Elizabeth. I promise never to make you worry ever again."

"I know and now," I turned around to give him a peck on the lips, "I have to wash my mug and go to sleep."

He held me close and whispered, "I love you, Elizabeth."

"I love you too."

With the sleeping arrangements in place, I lay in bed. I felt guilty for having Darcy sleep on the couch in the living room. At least it wasn't an uncomfortable sofa. It was a dove-gray sectional with a chaise lounge. He'd be all right.

I stretched in bed with a yawn. Five minutes later, I turned over to stare at the ceiling. It was too quiet. I was expecting him to groan in pain or protest the notion of an aristocrat sleeping on a couch. What if he was upset to the point of silence?

I sat up and stared at the closed door for a long time. I agreed with myself, stepping out of my room to check on my guest was the polite thing to do. I threw on a white lace and chiffon robe over my satin nightgown. As I tied the robe, I realized why I was leaving the bedroom. I had never had a man stay the night-ever. Not even Michael. I didn't know what to do. Should I have offered refreshments? A midnight snack? A warm glass of milk?