Chapter 33 - Lydia's Lament

Author's Note - This is a really long chapter! It's 26 pages typed!

I love this song. I feel it depicts what Lydia is going through at this point in the story.

The photograph is how I always imagined Mr. Samuel Palmer to look.

"What is right to be done cannot be done too soon." – Jane Austen

A month seemed like a long time, and as I stared into Darcy's eyes, I felt uneasy. I know, there I went again with the worrying. Everything was working out for once, and I was fretting about bothersome trivialities. Who cared if a month was a long time? Darcy and I loved each other. What ifs crossed my mind and I could have kicked myself for thinking about the worst case scenario.

On the twenty-eighth, we would be going back to Pride and Prejudice World. But, what if nothing happened? What if we stood in front of the mirror like a couple of fools and nothing happened?  What would happen then? I did not have the heart to force Darcy to live in this modern world.

"You seem troubled." A gentle smile appeared on Darcy's lips.

"Mind reader." I scrunched up my nose with a playful grin.

"I have grown accustomed to you well enough to recognize when something is displeasing you."

"How can you tell?"

"This," he rubbed the lines between my eyebrows, "always seems to show up when you are angry or—"

"Fine, I get it!"

"—or irritated," he continued.

Before I could come up with a snarky comeback, Darcy kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes, my worries melting away. I lay my head on his shoulder, feeling the warmth of his body so close to mine.

"I'm worried about the mirror not working."

He stayed silent as if contemplating my words. I looked up, "If it doesn't work, you have to stay here."

"It will work."

"But, what if it doesn't?"

"It will."

"You don't sound convincing."

He sighed, "I am attempting to convince myself."

"So, you do have doubts!"

"Yes."

"If it doesn't work, you'll have to get a job. You have no skills!" I cringed, "I meant to say you have no current vocational skills. I mean-"

Darcy sent me a strained smile, "We will worry about my want of competencies when the time comes."

***

The sun peeped through the plantation shutters, a hint of how today was a fresh start. I sat up in bed, stretching my arms. Putting my feet on the hardwood floor, I gazed at the window. A delightful feeling overcame me as I stood up and crossed the little space between my bed and the windowpane. I forced the shutters open, shining truth upon my situation.

I smiled as I took in the view of my city for one last time. I was going to take the next step in my life. I was going to be with the man I loved. A felicitous sentiment entered my body. I turned away from the window, away from the city I knew so well, and towards my destiny.

I found Darcy sitting on the sofa in the living room. He looked at me, and a smile appeared on his lips. He was back in his original clothing, the top hat in his hands and his cravat knotted around his neck. Holy cravat!