Chapter 1 - The Portal

"Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint." - Jane Austen

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in ownership of her life must be in want of a husband. However little known the feelings or views of such a woman may be on her first entering into a relationship.

A failed relationship.

My life ‌ had become routine after the breakup. I woke up and stared at the wall for a bit. Wondering why nothing had changed, I got up to brush my teeth then had tea, and some biscuits and ran off to work. This routine put me in a rut!

I did the 9-5 thing. By the time I arrived home, I could think of nothing better than kicking off my shoes. Loosening up with a glass of wine was on the menu along with my favorite book.

Pride and Prejudice!

There was something about that novel that made me feel as though I was home again. The language, the characters, they all seemed to jump off the page. I was not ashamed to say that I held them near my heart as dear friends. I found myself wishing that people still spoke like this. Where had the beauty of speech gone? Where had good manners gone?

I was single (if you hadn't already guessed). You could insert a longing sigh somewhere in that conviction. My best friend, Pirhana, was single too, but she was a little too eager to mingle. She would go out to bars and clubs, but, you see, that was not my thing. I was a dinner and movie ‌ girl. A stroll around the park ‌ girl. As you can imagine, therein lied my flaw; I was old-fashioned. I wanted to meet a guy at a ball. I wanted to have scores of suitors lined up for my hand in marriage. Considering it was not 1813, I had the next best thing: classic novels.

As I daydreamed at my desk, I heard a voice say my name, "Amanda Price?"

I sighed, for, it was time to bring myself back to reality. "Yes," I looked at my boss.

She beckoned me to come to her office. Once I sat in the seat opposite her; she said, "There will be a few changes made today."

"What kind of changes?" I asked.

"Downsizing happens in every workplace. This is happening to you because-"

"Am I losing my job?"

She continued, "Once the company gets back on its feet, you are welcome to reapply."

I slumped in my chair. It was not the change that I wished. I had lost my job with the bank and could not even focus on my beloved novel. I took the bus home and pulled out my copy of Pride and Prejudice. I didn't even care if people stared at me. Reading on a bus is not a strange notion. But, a girl with tears streaking her cheeks, reading Pride and Prejudice, while trying to control her sobbing on a semi-crowded bus was enough to make everyone stay far away. I had the worst day that was until someone bumped my elbow, and I screamed in pain. Worst day ever times two. I was not going to miss the commute.

Visiting my mother was something I always did when I was feeling down. She was the only constant in my life. She always knew how to make me feel better. I came over for tea a few times a week. But, today, she was especially comforting. She knew when I was sad. She could see it in my face and could tell Nat by looking at me. She said that I would understand this extraordinary power better when I became a mother... like that would ever happen.

Her name was Frankie Price. She had an open face, and there was much kindness behind her eyes. When she looked at you, all your sorrows came rushing out. She had that effect on everyone, and so, she was an excellent listener.

She handed me a cup of tea, "Dear, why the long face?"

"I've lost my job, mum."

"Oh." She reached out and touched my face, "But, you never liked the job in the first place."

"Yeah, I know." I sulked, "It paid the bills."

She sat right before me. "What does Michael say about this?"

I looked down, "Nothing. He doesn't. We split up months ago."

"Sweetie," my mum seized my hand, "things will get better. Everything always gets better.  There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere. When one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first plan is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere. You will overcome this and come back stronger than ever."

"I hope so," I muttered.

My mum looked down at her teacup, "This needs more sweetener." She stood up and started looking through her cupboard. "Oh no, I'm out of sweetener packets."

"Hold on," I took my copy of Pride and Prejudice out and sifted through the pages. I found a packet of sweetener tucked between the pages of Darcy's second proposal. "Here," I handed my mother the packet.

She looked at me and laughed, "You need to get a purse, love."

***

When I got home, I dumped everything on the kitchen table but my book. I walked towards my bathroom with no other intention than to look in the mirror. Feeling like a failure, I stared at myself; holding the novel in my hands. How could this have happened? I could hear my phone ringing. Something had happened, and I could not move. Before I could think or ask myself what would Jane do (Jane Austen to be precise), the mirror became a portal, and I was drawn in.

~~~~~

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting!