Chapter 25 - The Declaration

It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy;- it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others." - Jane Austen

"You are the one I love," Mr. Darcy said with resolved seriousness, "Marry me, Miss Elizabeth, and make me the happiest of men."

My heart milled in my chest. The only sounds I could hear were my heartbeat and the gentle hum of the fountain; its water rustling like a whisper from a loved one. He took hold of my hands. Before I could respond with an answer, his trembling lips were on mine. He broke the kiss as fast as it had begun, in all likelihood, from an obligation to propriety.

Amanda, I thought to myself, what are you doing? I love him. I love him. I love him.

"Your answer?"

"Before I give my answer," I smirked, "I would like you to do something for me."

***

With a soft splash, Darcy emerged from the pond. His wet shirt clung to his body. The sheerness of the shirt revealed a well-muscled torso. I had not expected him to be so... healthy. I was shocked because all those Regency portraits I had seen depicted heavyset men with moon faces and cheeks as red as tomatoes. You know, the type of guy wearing a froufrou too-tight suit, an off-kilter wig with his feet propped on a tiny stool, looking as though he was battling a severe case of gout. Darcy was, beyond any doubt, not that. No, not at all.

"Is this acceptable?" He inquired with a bashful grin.

"Oh yes," I blushed. "Yes."

He moved towards the edge of the pond to get back on solid ground. I stopped him, "No, stay there. If you get out now, I know we will kiss, and I will not be capable of thinking clearly." I sighed, "I know you love me, and I love you as well. Even so, when you first met me, I was this annoying, self-righteous brat, and you looked at me with an abysmal disregard. Now, you say that you love me for the acuity of my mind, my beauty, and my kindness and strength."

He smirked, "I see everything about you as disagreeable. Still, I love you, Elizabeth Bennet." His voice softened, "You have my heart."

My breath caught in my chest. With fluid movements, he swam back to the edge of the pond and climbed towards me. "Do not doubt the sincerity of my feelings for you."

I reached up to caress his face with my hand, stroking his lips with my thumb. Locking eyes, we stepped closer to one another. I noticed the flecks of gold in his brown eyes. I felt an overwhelming need to know everything about the man standing in front of me. I wanted him to kiss me again. I needed him to kiss me.

He held me by the waist before the yearning could become agonizing. Pulling me towards his chest, he disregarded the fact that he was dripping with water. The water seeped through to my dress, but I paid no heed to it. I heard a husky sound in the back of his throat as he kissed me again, this time with more passion. Electricity charged through my body. I wrapped my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss, raking my fingers through his hair.

The kiss ended when he noticed his butler was walking towards him. He backed away from me and asked what business he had today. He told Darcy the accountant was waiting for him in the library. Darcy told him he would come soon. Once the butler was out of sight, I looked up at Darcy, "Can you ignore that?"

He sent me a strained smile and shook his head, "I cannot."

I chuckled, "I figured."

"When my obligations are quitted, I will find you, Elizabeth, for, there is more to say." He kissed my hands, "If only the same words, over and again."