Chapter 2 - An Unusual Welcome

"A mind lively and at ease, can do with seeing nothing, and can see nothing that does not answer." - Jane Austen

I could hear voices around me that sounded like chirping mother hens. Slowly, I opened my eyes to see that I was surrounded by four women, all of whom were wearing cloth rollers in their hair. I noticed my surroundings had changed.

"She is awake!" The girl nearest to me shouted out.

I closed my eyes once more. I must have been in a dream. This must have been some strange dream. A strange dream with period clothing. I needed to get out more.

"Lydia, do not shout." A calm voice scolded.

Lydia? I don't think I knew anyone with that name.

My eyes fluttered open again to see a beige ceiling with pink roses painted upon the niches. This was not my apartment bathroom. The rules of my apartment complex were that the walls must be white, and we could not even decorate with appliqués, and hanging pictures were allowed but, were looked down upon.

Where was I?

"I-"

"Ssh," a soothing voice spoke up from behind the young lady in front of me. "You passed out, my dear Lizzy. You must rest."

Whoa! Whoa, back up there. Lizzy?

"Oh! My poor nerves," a shrill voice cried from behind the girls. "I know I shall not live a moment longer! Not when I had such news to tell Lizzy, and she has fainted!"

The girl with the calming voice soothed, "She will be better in time for whatever news you have to tell her."

"W-where am I?" I had the gumption to ask though I think I knew the answer to that question. I knew the moment I heard Lydia's name being called out. I only did not want to consider it. This had to be a dream. I could scarcely believe that I was where I thought I was, for, if this was a reality show; it must have been one bloody excellent one.

I'd like Mr. Darcy behind door number one, please!

The oldest woman cried out, "It is as I suspected! Lizzy has gone mad! Oh my dear! My failing heart!"

The calm girl and Lydia bolstered me up and walked me towards a bedroom. Soon, I was lying upon pillows that were scented with lavender and scored with lace. I saw my copy of Pride and Prejudice on the bed and stuffed it under the pillow.

"Where am I?" I asked again.

"Lizzy," Lydia looked at me in disbelief, "you are beginning to scare me. Do you not know where you are?"

"I have taken heed of such instances where people have lost their memory."

"Jane," Lydia rolled her eyes, "no one loses their mind from having their stays too tight."

No, they lose an organ or two!

"The predicament is that dear Lizzy does not remember where she is."

"Well," Lydia bit her lip, "let us ask her some questions then. It shall be great fun."

Yippy?

"Where do you believe you are?" Jane asked.

"Um," I paused, "Hammersmith, London?"

"Oh my," Jane's eyes widened, "it is worse than we thought."

"You are in -"

No, it can't be!

"Hertfordshire?"