Chapter 19 - The Lady Vanishes

There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. - Jane Austen

Morning came, and I lingered in bed for a bit, staring at the ceiling. Plastered upon my features was a lazy smile. I thought of the kiss Darcy, and I had shared and sighed to myself. I rose from the bed refreshed and happy, and I was not a morning person. I was ready to tackle the day. Carpe Diem! I was going to face the day head on, come what may! Preparing myself for the morning, I changed and walked downstairs to have breakfast.

Mr. Collins sat at the breakfast table, reading from his volume of discourses. Father had nodded off in his chair. However, Kitty and Lydia, who had moved into the room with much noise, had woken him up. Kitty giggled when she saw Mr. Collins was sermonizing to a group of people who did not want to hear it. It was ten in the morning, after all! Lydia paused when she saw Mr. Collins was reading aloud. She made a face and sat next to me, "I would ask what I missed, however, seeing how dull everyone seems; I would say I didn't miss much."

I looked at her, "You would be right."

Mr. Collins cast Lydia a wary eye. He cleared his throat. He continued to read in a louder tone, but, all it did was make Lydia noisier (something we could have all lived without). "I wonder if I shall see Mr. Wickham today."

"What about Mr. Samuel Palmer?" Mary asked.

Mr. Bennet spoke, "Mr. Palmer is to buy the neighboring farm.

"We shall be neighbors with him! Oh, happy day!" Mrs. Bennet inquired, "What is his age? Is he short or tall? How much does he make?"

"Why not ask him, my dear?"

"Oh, Mr. Bennet," Mrs. Bennet exhaled in exasperation, "Not again! I will not listen to you anymore. You have teased me enough!"

"Oh well, that is a pity, for, what I meant to say was," Mr. Bennet said, "I have invited him to dinner tonight."

Lydia paled, and I glanced sidelong at her. For somebody who cared not about a simple farmer, she was, without question, acting the role of a woman with a crush. Of course, the term crush would not have existed then. "Papa," Lydia asked, "why have you invited Mr. Palmer to dinner? We barely know him."

"Hush Lydia!" Mrs. Bennet scolded, "He is a man of property."

"Not yet!" Lydia protested, "Mother he is a farmer. We can all do better than Mr. Palmer. Jane has Bingley, and I have Mr. Wickham. Oh and," she sent me a mischievous look, "Lizzy has Mr. Darcy wrapped around her little finger!"

"No," I dissented, "I do not!""

"Lydia dear," Mrs. Bennet remarked, "Mr. Wickham has no property. What will he offer you?"

Defeated, Lydia sighed, "Fine. But, do not expect me to like this Palmer fellow."

"There is nothing wrong with being a farmer. He establishes an honorable livelihood. It proves that he is responsible and dutiful. Wouldn't you rather have a devoted husband at your side?" Mary asked.

Lydia pouted and slumped in her chair. With a sigh, Mr. Collins closed his book; for, no one was listening. He stood up and walked towards the window. He seemed in a pensive mood. Everyone looked relieved and went about their morning duties. I avoided mother. She had settled upon finding out what had happened between Darcy and I. Before she could ask me any more questions, Mr. Collins walked back to the table, "Miss Elizabeth, I would like to ask you a question."

"Yes?"

He extended his arm out to me, "Shall we go to the parlor room? I would have asked to take a stroll, but, it is rather cold outside, and I fear we are ill-prepared for it."