Chapter 29 - The Big Reveal

She hoped to be wise and reasonable in time; but alas! Alas! She must confess to herself that she was not wise yet. - Jane Austen

We had arrived a little while ago and to leave so soon reflected poorly on me. I was aware of that, yeah. But, I could not let myself ignore the urgency of the situation. My family was important to me. She was my mother, after all. I could not let her down. She needed me, and I had to leave as soon as possible.

Darcy turned to face me. I heard the concern in his voice, "What is wrong?"

The phone blazed amidst the dim lights. Her message filled the screen. I felt the importance of her words. I knew something was amiss. In normal circumstances, she would have told me to have fun. I had been missing for a few days-not long enough to warrant a search-but an issue was an issue. And, as I have always found myself surrounded by issues, I was not surprised.

After a bit of reluctance, I gulped, "It's my mother. She wants to see me now."

He stood up from his chair, "Shall I escort you?"

I looked at his outstretched hand. Fondness entered his eyes as I put my hand in his and stood next to him. Staring upward at him, I smiled, "That would be lovely."

Getting out of the club as fast as we could was a daunting task. After paying for our drinks, we told Pirhana and Michael we were leaving. Then, we had to wind our way through a packed club only to squeeze past the long line of people still waiting to get inside. It took half an hour to leave and another twenty minutes to obtain an unoccupied taxi. Once we settled into the cab, I took a deep breath. I peeked at Darcy from the corner of my eye, "I know. It seems so strange to leave so soon. I-"

Darcy smiled, "I am glad to leave."

"Good." I sent him a sheepish grin, "I figured it wouldn't be your idea of a good time."

"It appears in the future; life moves at a different pace."

"Yes," I nodded, "a much faster pace."

"Do you prefer this life?"

I paused to think. I did not know what I preferred. Up until a few days ago, I had lived my life in this so-called future. The Regency Era was slow moving, and there was much appreciation for the smaller details in life often overlooked in my universe. Sometimes, I felt that I belonged in the past and other times, I could not bear the idea of being without my modern indulgences.

"I do not know."

It was a simple resolution for something so complicated. I do not know. The truth was I had never thought about my way of life as anything but my life. Never in a million years had I imagined I could add Dimension Jumper or Time Traveler Extraordinaire to my list of accomplishments. My confidence was beginning to wane, and I tried my best to hide it from Darcy.

"We will find a way back." He reassured me.

We? Did he still love me? I wanted to ask him about it. But, I froze and smiled at him instead. After finding out I was not Elizabeth Bennet, I was definite he meant we would find a solution so he could go back to his world. I knew I was overanalyzing everything again. Love was a fragile and painful experience all wrapped up in a pretty package. Everyone wanted to fall in love, but no one was prepared for the complications that arose after you unwrapped it.

He cleared his throat. "When we arrive, would you rather I stay in this transport?"

"Car," I smiled. "And no, I want you to come inside to meet my mother."