48 • Family Therapy

Ethan

The building where the therapy sessions were held looked like a one-story office building, but upon entering, it had more of a relaxed atmosphere. There were a few chairs lined against the wall, opposite the front desk. Mom went to go sign us in before we sat down. I noticed a sectioned-off area that held a few small tables with some toys for children. It was a bit sad to think of the reasons a kid might need to be here. Even if it's because their parent is going through something and had to take their kid to a therapy session. Don’t get me wrong. Everyone should be able to go to therapy if they need it. It’s just sad how many people might need therapy.

Of course, I’m one to talk.

Soon, a lady in a long floral dress opened a side door. That must have been our cue because Mom and Dad both stood. I followed shortly after and we were led down a hallway to an office space. But it was meant for a group of people because there was a couch, as well as a few chairs stationed in the main section of the office.

“Please have a seat. We will begin in a moment.” The lady said with a light voice. She had glasses and a braid in her hair. She also looked quite young to be a therapist.

We sat down. Mom and Dad chose the sofa while I chose a chair. The woman soon sat down with a clipboard in her lap. “Morning. My name is Lia Baker, but most people call me Miss Lia.”

My mother smiled lightly, “I’m Allie and my husband’s name is Ryan. This is my son, Ethan.”

I gave a light wave, feeling a bit awkward.

Miss Lia nodded in acknowledgment to all of us before she clicked her pen, insinuating we were starting our session, “What brings you here today?”

After a moment of awkward silence, Mom jumped in to explain, “Well, our family has been going through a lot lately and we decided to talk to a professional.”

Miss Lia wrote that down before looking at the three of us, “So this was a group decision?”

“Yes,” My father responded this time. I took a moment to look around the room as they spoke. It was cozy. In the corner was a basket of fidget toys, coloring books as well as a blanket. I’m sure those were for people who needed something to do while they talked. 

“Have you seen a counselor before?” Miss Lia lightly jotted as they talked, though she made sure to look at whoever was talking. 

“No, we haven’t” Dad continued and both Mom and I nodded in agreement.

“What are you hoping to achieve by coming here?”

This took a moment before he could answer. I watched as his eyebrows furrowed, as if he was contemplating how to say what he wanted, “I was hoping to better my parenting skills because I haven’t been a very good one lately”

Even though I knew Dad wasn’t looking for me to say ‘yes you have,’ I couldn’t help but look down to avoid his eyes. 

“What makes you say that?” Miss Lia stopped taking notes when she heard that as she looked up to us.

Mom soon jumped in with a better explanation, though what she said kind of left me winded.