35 • Photographs

Veronica

Eugene thought I was done with him. That works better for me. I needed him to think I had moved on but I planned on getting even. On him and that stoner, Ethan.

I had planned on getting Michael to help, but he was as much of a chicken as I thought he was. I told him my plan but he ditched me. So now I had to do this on my own. Things were finally falling into place. I had the pictures I needed and I knew how to mess with both of them at the same time. This will show them why they shouldn’t have messed with my popularity.

That’s right, I never really liked Eugene. But being the quarterback's girlfriend helped with working your way up the pyramid. Eugene made a mistake when he messed that up.

This morning, I had gotten everything together. Eugene would be at his house, and alone. Now I just had to wait. My car was parked down the street of Eugene’s house and I had the folder in my passenger seat. Ethan had spent the entire weekend there, which only solidified my plan.

The poor little boys won’t know what hit them.

On Sundays, his mother took Anna to have a playdate and go shopping. That usually lasted a few hours. The door caught my attention and I grinned, “Finally, he’s leaving.” And there he was. Ethan walked out of the house like the grinning idiot he is. He wore one of Eugene’s sweaters. One I thought looked really ugly but that's beside the point. He headed down the front lawn, glancing back to the door, smiling more. I was sure he was doing one of those ‘romance movie goodbyes’, where one watches the other leave but they keep glancing back to each other.

Pathetic.

Pulling out my bright red lipstick, I reapplied it to my lips while looking at the driver’s side window. 

Ethan walked the opposite direction and I waited ever so patiently until he was gone. I then waited a few more moments. Which, I’m going to be honest, was frustrating. I know what people say about waiting. That ‘good things come to those who wait’ crap. Well, I didn’t buy it. Why wait when you could do whatever you want in the moment?

And now was my moment. My time to shine.

I grabbed the manilla folder with every bit of dirt Eugene had and got out of the car, using my hip to shut my door. Checking my outfit, I grinned. I dressed to impress today. A red pencil skirt dress that accentuated my curves. I also wore heels and red lipstick to match. I guess you could say I liked to make an entrance.

The walk to Eugene’s front door was only helping my adrenaline. Every step brought me closer to unleashing the plan I had been creating for weeks. 

I stepped up to the dark brown door and knocked twice. While waiting, I adjusted my weight to my left leg. Soon Eugene opened the door with a smile on his face, “Hey! Did you forget-” He stopped talking, probably because he realized I wasn’t his loverboy. “What do you want?” His tone was cold, but I didn’t mind. 

We were past formalities. 

“Let me in, Eugene. There’s something I want you to see. It’s about Ethan.” I knew that would peak his interest. It was the half-truth but that didn’t matter. I just needed to get in so he couldn’t shut the door on my face. 

That would ruin everything.

Eugene, like I predicted, stepped aside. I sauntered in and plopped down on his couch. I knew he didn’t like that because his face scrunched into a frown. Too bad it ruined his perfect face, and too bad he lost his chance. I slapped the envelope down on the table and watched his eyebrows rise towards his hairline.

“What’s this?” This was going to be fun. He picked up the folder as I stayed silent. I watched as the color drained from his face when he looked at the pictures of him and Ethan having their makeout session on Halloween. There were several more pictures. I had originally planned on just making something up about Ethan to make Eugene upset. When I went to the Halloween party, I went there to get drunk and get a hookup. I had even dressed in my sexy Catwoman outfit. I only got lucky when I saw the two of them getting steamy outside. So of course, that helped me form a new plan. One that needed pictures.

“There’s more too,” I smirked up to him. He was entering his angry phase. I imagined that was going to happen, though, I would have preferred we avoided that. It wastes my time. 

“What the hell is this?” he dropped the file back onto the table and I took great pleasure as I watched his nostrils flare, much like a bull. 

Standing, I stepped towards him and placed a hand on his chest. With a devilish grin, I pushed him back. Eugene was like a pit bull. All bark, no bite. He looked big and tough but in reality, he wasn’t much of a fighter. Needless to say, he fell back into the chair, his eyes wide as he watched me wearily. 

“Eugene, you made a mistake when you crossed me. You made an even bigger mistake when you humiliated me in front of everyone. So I decided to get even. After all, it’s only fair.”

Eugene shook his head, “That wasn’t my intention! I just broke up with you!”

“Don’t start. This isn’t an argument or some negotiation. Now you’re going to listen to me. And you’re going to listen well.” I smirked.

“What if I don't want to listen to you.” He wasn’t asking. Then again, neither was I.

“You don't have a choice. Unless you listen to me, I will ruin your reputation at school. You know Nick, and how he was forced to move away?” Nick was the lead quarterback before this year. There was a rumor that was spread that he was into a guy. He was bullied and pushed around so much at the end of last year, he had to move away. I knew the majority of the students weren’t homophobic but a little nudge here, and a little nudge there would make anyone go after him. 

I watched as worry filled Eugene’s eyes. Something else I took great pride in creating. “I will make sure what happened to him happens to you. You don't want to end up losing your spot on the football team, now do you? That would give up your only shot at making it into college and wouldn't that be a shame..”

Eugene swallowed for a moment and I watched as he shook his head, his blonde hair moving with the effort, “That- who’s to say I’d move away? Who’s to say I couldn’t handle it? I doubt that would ruin my chance at a scholarship!” I could see he was trying to build up his confidence again but I had another point I knew he wouldn’t be able to defend.

“But could Ethan?” I smirked as that question left my glossy, red lips.

“What?” He whispered, probably confused and more worried that I mentioned his name.

Placing my hands on the armrests of the chair, I leaned forward, making him stiffen, “Could Ethan take it? The bullying? Would you really be willing to risk Ethan’s safety? Do you think he’d forgive you if you had the chance to prevent it but didn’t?”

He answered my question by his silence, not to mention the priceless look of terror on his face. I knew I had won. As I said, this wasn’t a negotiation. 

“What do you want from me?” He barely managed to whisper loud enough for me to hear. 

Standing back with my arms crossed over my chest, I smirked down to him, “I want you to break up with Ethan. Cut contact. The more you talk to him, the more I feel like sharing those pictures to every student in the school, or town even. Wouldn’t that be fun.”

I would feel sorry for him if he hadn’t destroyed any bit of social status I had. 

I grabbed the photos and headed for the door. I didn’t hear him follow me but I hadn’t planned on letting him walk me out anyway. With a yank on the door handle, the door was flung open. I turned to look at Eugene, who was staring at me with a look I couldn’t care to understand, “Oh, and don’t mention anything about our conversation.” That would ruin some of my fun.

With that, I walked out the door, a smirk on my face.