29 • Under the Oak Tree

Ethan

Most of the time my birthdays sucked. I just never enjoyed birthday parties, especially with me. It’s supposed to be a fun day but in reality it was really awkward. You were surrounded by people who were focused solely on you. They smiled at you and gave you gifts, but how do you respond to that? When they sing the happy birthday song, how are you supposed to react? Most of the time, you just sit there with that awkward smile.

My parents always wanted birthday parties because it was easier to please everyone and I never argued because I wanted Brian to have a good time too. But now Brian isn’t here. So there was no reason to have a party. I think my parents realized this, too, because when I woke up this morning, it was like it was a regular day. There were no ‘morning’s or birthday banners.

There was no excitement. 

Instead, the house was empty and I was left alone. 

I sighed softly and made my way to get dressed. I planned to spend today with Eugene but I seriously doubted he knew what day it was. I pulled on my favorite hoodie and a pair of blue skinny jeans as well as my converse. I knew I was going out today so I might as well be ready.

Afterward, I made myself a simple breakfast of cereal with blueberries. What can I say? I may be simple but I know its better than nothing. 

It was a quick mean and the dishes were soon washed and placed in the sink. Shortly after, my phone pinged from on the table. Walking over, I moved to check to see who had messaged me. The smile on my face was probably seen from hell because it was Gene. It’s only been a short time since I met him and I already liked him.

More than liked. 

That sounds gay but at this point, I was willing to consider it a possibility. I’ve never really checked out other guys before though so I’m not sure if that’s quite right. I’ve also never been interested in girls. Maybe I’m demisexual? Or ace and demiromantic? 

I don’t know about you but that’s a lot of words for a simpleton like me so I’ll just stick with what I know. And that is that I like Eugene. 

Bringing my thoughts back into focus - that being Gene -  I clicked on the notification icon.

Gene: Hey, you free today?

Me: Yep. Just sitting at home, watching videos of cats smelling feet.

It was a complete lie but I knew it would make him laugh.

It took him a few moments to respond.

Gene: Haha bet that’s fun. Would you be interested in maybe spending the day with me? I don't have any plans

Smiling, I type up the reply:

Me: I would love to

His response was almost instant, taking me off guard.

Gene: perfect. Meet me at the lake? In 20?

I sent a thumbs-up as my response before squealing - a manly squeal, mind you. 

I knew the walk would take about fifteen minutes so I decided to head there now. Making sure I had everything, I left the house and locked the door behind me before making my way towards the lake and park.

It was pretty early in the morning so the park was reasonably empty, but there was no sign of Eugene.

I pulled out my phone and sent him a text to let him know I was here I surely received one back that said that he would be late. He sent another one right after the last.

Gene: I'll be there very soon but do you mind meeting me at that tree we went to one time? The big, oak tree at the hill? I'll meet you there.

He didn't give me much room to argue so I decided to just make my way over there. The walk took about five extra minutes but I didn't mind. The scenery is very beautiful and I was going to enjoy the last of the summer weather while we had it.

At the top of the hill I could make out the silhouette of the tree, but at the base of the tree, I caught sight of something else. It was a box of some sort with what looks to be a red bow..?

Upon further inspection I realized that it was a guitar case. On the bow, there was a note that signed 'For Ethan'. I could only think of one person who would give this to me. I don't know how, but Eugene must have figured out I was playing the guitar.

Gene suddenly made an appearance from around the tree, smiling widely. The boy was wearing a light jacket that showed off his shoulders and fit him quite well. 

"H-how did you know?" I could only whisper as I looked at the case.

Gene smiled to me, a smile that could bring any girl to their knees - in a non-sexual sense. But instead of sharing that smile with anyone else, he was sharing it with me.

It was like I won the lottery.

He walked closer "don't worry about the details. Magician's never reveal their secrets." He winked.

God save my soul.

He gently took the case and held it out to me, "Happy Birthday Ethan." He beamed at me.

Shakily taking the case, I smile up to him, unable to form coherent thoughts. "I- uh... wh- well... er... Thank you" he chuckled at my struggle and I repeated "thank you so much."

He motioned for me to sit down before a question flickered in his eyes.

"What is it?" I asked softly.

His smile turned sheepish

"Will you play for me?"