11 • Camera

Ethan

The days quickly flew by. Eugene had coaxed me to his house on Tuesday, after school. Today I was in a good mood. Sunday night, I had finally been able to get in contact with my dealer so I wasn't having very much withdrawal symptoms. Even with my buzzed state, Eugene made me laugh and relax. We were both chilling on the couch, watching Looney Toons with his little sister, who I adored. In a nice way, she reminded me of Brian but she was way too sassy. Anna, as that was her name, seemed to take a liking to me. Eugene was a bit embarrassed by his sister and I caught him blushing a little when I first came here. It's a bit strange to admit, but I found the blushing quarterback... Cute.

There I admit it.

But it's perfectly normal to think a guy is cute. I mean, who wouldn't? Eugene has these puppy dog eyes and unique hair, that I have been tempted to touch. Anyone can see it's a completely normal impulse. 

Right?

My thoughts were interrupted by a pillow thrown at my face. Blinking, I turn to look at the source to see Eugene trying not to laugh. I couldn't help my blush considering it took me a moment to respond. "You ok? You seemed to be off in a day dream.."

"Yes. I'm fine. I was just thinking of someone- I-I mean something. I was thinking of something!" Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe I just said that.

Eugene rose an eyebrow before he wiggled them. Can you wiggle your eyebrows? "Oh? A special someone? Ethan Rhodes, do you have a crush?" He teased which only made my face heat up more. He laughed lightly and pulled out his camera.

He bought that a few days ago.

"Just as proof, here is Ethan freaking Rhodes!" he teased as he recorded.

"Eugene!" My tone came out a little whiny as I reached for the camera, recording my embarrassment "Turn it off!" I couldn't help but laugh. He laughed too as I reached for the camera to try and steal it away from his grasp. He pulled away and backed up. I knew it was bait but I followed.

Soon we were running around the house. I was trying to steal the camera and Eugene was managing to avoid me smoothly. Eventually, me being the total athlete, I ran out of breath. I was leaned over, hands on my knees as I panted. I watched as feet shuffled to stand in front of me. Eugene chuckled, though his voice was a bit deep. "Done trying to grab my camera?" He baited.

I shot him a playful glare "Nope" I tried to jump and grab it but he just held it up above. Stupid short legs. To counteract his height, I shimmied my way up his body. We both let out laughs at the fact that I was climbing him but I still couldn't reach. His amused smirk told me he knew that too. "Gene" I called lightly. The moment the nickname left my mouth, I knew that's what I'd be calling him from now on.

His smirk turned into a smile.

I just now realized how perfect his teeth are. They were straight, clean and white and fit into his smile well. I also took notice of his chiseled jaw and sharp but not too large nose that sat just under the most beautiful brown eyes I have ever seen. 

For a moment, we stood there, close. Almost too close but we both didn't seem to mind. After a beat, Gene rose an eyebrow with a light smile "Gene? I didn't know you were into nicknames." He teased gently.

Pushing aside those thoughts, I reached forward and grabbed the camera from his now slack hand and jumped off. Eugene complained and tried reaching for it but I just stuck my tongue out at him. He laughed and shook his head "Fine I'll stop.. Truce?" He gave those darn puppy dog eyes.
Sighing, I handed it over and we both shared a grin.

He smiled and put the camera away before heading to the kitchen. I followed after with a light smile and he soon poured us two cups of juice "Ready to present our project tomorrow?" He glanced my way. We lucked out and didn't end up presenting Monday because everyone went before us. Tomorrow we would most likely present our game. Sighing, I nodded and slumped. That resulted in him chuckling "It can't be that bad."

I rose an eyebrow his way "we will be surrounded by a group of judgemental teenagers who will be so bored they will have no choice but to stare at us and think the worst thoughts about us." I went on a little tangent before Eugene rose an eyebrow at me this time.

"Ethan, no one is going to be thinking that badly about us. Besides, they won't want to considering we are offering them candy" he chuckled and I just returned to pouting.

I felt a little better about tomorrow.