27 • Guitar Lessons

Ethan

A week has passed since the night terror. My withdrawal symptoms had calmed down a bit. I didn't shake anymore and I could eat better. I knew that made Eugene happy so I also had motivation. 

Speaking of Eugene, he's been gone a lot lately. Football practice has been crazy. I didn't realize how much I would miss his company. I am well aware of my current crushing situation but I didn't anticipate how bad it was.

Without him, I get bored so easily. That's not good considering boredom leads me to thinking. That thinking leads me to think about the cravings I've been having. I have pretty good control over that considering I have fewer withdrawal symptoms but the cravings are still there. To cope, I've been testing out everything Gene bought for me.

I discovered I am rather terrible at art and reading is a no go too. I would try to read a book but by the end of the page, I would realize I didn't retain any information. I spent a little under an hour, on one page, trying to remember it. It was no use so I was going to return the book today.

School went by in a blur, but this time, it wasn't because of me being high. It was just a quick day. I stood outside, looking at the football field. Gene looked undeniably like a greek god in his outfit. He was currently doing drills but I knew he was fine. I've seen him practice and I knew he still had enough energy to mess around. 

Smiling to myself, I pulled my bag over my shoulder more before heading out of the parking lot. It was an easy walk to the bookstore.

<×><×><×>

The walk only took ten minutes. When I got in the store, I gave them the receipt and they easily gave me the money back. I planned on giving back to Eugene. I didn't like him buying the stuff for me in the first place but he was too stubborn to listen to me. 

As I was leaving the store, I caught sight of the music store. A smile grew on my face at the memory of me and Eugene having fun in the store. I'm still learning the songs from the CDs I got.

On the window of the shop, there was a poster in bright colors - yellow, blues and pinks. When I walked closer, it was a banner mentioning music lessons hosted by the music shop and the price was pretty good; only about $5 an hour.

I took a moment before glancing inside. Kids were laughing as one of the coworkers taught them a few strings and made silly faces. I, myself, was chuckling even though I couldn't hear what was going on.

The excitement in everyone's faces back and me and to the store. Soon I was joining the kids to see what the guy was talking about.

He looked to be in his twenties. He was tall, had green eyes, wore gauges in his ears and had a mohawk. The guy looks like you're stereotypical punk rock dude but in reality, he was playing a few soft notes on it on his guitar. 

His hands were strumming the chords with delicate but confident touches and his face seemed to relax as he played. 

It was so interesting to see how everyone reacted to music. 

Some looked away, bored or distracted, others were entranced. 

The man stood and set the guitar down. I had the chance to see his name tag.

Andrew.

Andrew smiled to everyone "Today can be a free day for everyone to see if you want guitar lessons. The lessons are only five dollars an hour. We have practices from 5:30 to 8:30 but you are free to leave any time between." As he talked, it was easy to see a glint of silver or something medal. 

A tongue piercing, maybe?

Most of the kids left and it was just up to me to choose. Andrew looked at me hopefully. His puppy eyes were good, nowhere near 'Gene good'. But good.

Smiling lightly, I gave a nod and the man did an air fist pump of celebration. 

With that, we began the lesson.