33 • Little Game

Ethan

The day was finally here. Eugene and I had been waiting for this day for weeks! It’s been so long since I’ve willingly gone to a party so I hoped this one turns out ok.

It was a quarter after six. My ride would be here soon. Thankfully, I didn’t have to do anything makeup related for my costume. I was wearing a suit like outfit. It was one of those older fashioned suits that had a forked dip at the back of the jacket. I also bought a masquerade mask that would cover my face slightly.

After Eugene dropped me off after school, I spent a few hours getting ready. It took me a little while to figure out how to make the suit look right, considering I’ve never really worn this type of suit before. I then put on the mask before I spent the rest of my time working on my hair. I added a little bit of gel before I styled it so some of the strands were loosely in my face while the rest were pushed back.

In a few moments, my attention was pulled to a horn outside. The guy who was going to take me to the party was named Elijah. He was a pretty chill guy. I knew him from last year. He was a friend of a friend, so to speak. He was also the only person I could call and ask for a ride without any awkward interactions. 

I grabbed my phone and a charger before heading out to the car. Elijah wore a ghost face outfit with the mask pulled over his hair so he could see the road without any problems. That was another reason I called Elijah. He was a good and responsible driver. You’ve probably figured it out, but he was the designated driver when it came to my group going to parties. 
With a little bit of small talk, we arrived at the party and parted ways. Elijah probably found his group of friends. As for me? I headed towards the kitchen. Eugene and I had agreed to have our meet up there. I grabbed a cup of beer and stood by the sink.
The house was big. It was closer to Eugene’s side of town. The wealthy side. The kitchen alone was enough to fit at least fifteen people with wiggle room. Even as the party was in pre-swing, it was pretty populated, but I didn’t feel one bit crowded. 

The kitchen was loner than it was wide. The island was designed to hold a lot of stools and the countertop was white marble. I may know nothing about rich people but I know that stuff was expensive. The kitchen had steel accent pieces with those fancy, restaurant, overhead lights.

Yep, a rich person home. 

By now, I had been standing there for at least five minutes. I probably should have been a little more lenient when it came to talking about our costumes because I had no idea how I was going to find Gene, especially if he was going to wear something that covered his face. 

Sighing, I pulled out my phone and clicked on Eugene’s messages. I guess I could reveal something about my costume. I don’t want him to show up and not know where I am.

Me: I’m wearing black

Shoot, most of the people at this party are in some form of black. 

Me: I should probably tell you what I’m wearing. It’ll make it easier on you.

Me: But.

Me: I don’t want to 

Grinning to myself, I turned to look out the window that sat above the sink.

Gene: Oh? So you’re going to make this difficult on me?

When I read that, I tried my hardest to hold back a giggle. I don’t recall me being this giggly towards him when we first met. 

Me: Yep. 

Gene: I bet I can guess what you’re wearing.

Me: Oh? And that would be..?

Gene: black suit

How did he know? I frowned. That little... Don’t tell me he’s known.

Me: How do you know?

Gene: can’t tell you that. Now.. can you guess what I’m wearing? It shouldn’t be that hard if you looked hard enough.

Looked hard enough? What does that mean? 

Turning, I scan the people in the room. Only a few feet away, I see leather. Correction, a leather jacket. My eyes moved upwards and I see that messy sandy hair with those beautiful rose toned streaks. 

Eugene. 

Wait.

“How long have you been standing there?” I scowled.

The quarterback let out a light chuckle as he walked over and leaned against the counter that I had been leaning against moments ago. He shrugged his broad shoulders, “Long enough to realize you looked at and texted on your phone at the same time I received my texts.”

“Really.” I chuckled and shook my head. “I guess that works.”

He stepped closer and I manage to catch a whiff of his cologne. Just a hint of old spice. Boy do I love how he smells. He caught my attention and my eyes soon found his.

“You look good.” Did his voice just drop? I mean, I’m not complaining but really? He thinks he can tease me like that and pull the ‘sexy voice’ card? Not happening.
“Oh don’t even go there mister. You and your.. Leather jacket.” I tried to come up with how that would be an insult but it honestly wasn’t. He looked fine in that jacket. And he probably knew that. To recover some of my dignity, I turned away and crossed my arms. I might as well play the pouting game while I’m at it.

Only a deep rumble of laughter sounded behind me, “Ethan. Com’mon. Don’t do that. That little game.” He teased gently and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “Let’s go party! There’s no time for pouting!”

Anyone else would have thought that was just a friendly side hug. Anyone would have seen me leaning into that action slightly as just shifting my weight. Only a few would know better.

Smiling, I nodded, and we head to the dance floor.