14 • Late Night Texts

Eugene

After going home, I explained to my mother - who had been sitting at the table, drinking tea - what happened and why I was back so early. She understandably hugged me and wished me a good night before I went up to bed. Anna was already asleep. She had an earlier bedtime.

I went into my room and shut the door quietly, before changing into more comfortable clothes. The end of the day was an absolute waste and I doubt Veronica will be willing to go on a date with me anytime soon. I don't know why but she's not interested in going out with me. Maybe she's just not a fan of dates but we haven't been able to spend a lot of time together. I was a bit disappointed she wasn't interested in catching up with me. Her friends are always around. She could easily just tell them to wait until she gets back or she could politely send them away. Like she politely sent me away.

So maybe I'm a little bitter.

Bite me.

Not sure what else to do, I decided to pull out my phone and text the only person who would be up at this time.

Ethan.

Ethan has made a few light comments about staying up late. Whether it be out of insomnia or playing some sort of video game, I do not know. But I know he's up.

Me: Hey, you awake?

It didn't take long before Ethan responded.

Ethan: Yeah. What's up? Shouldn't you be on a date?

I couldn't tell if he was teasing or just asking. I decided to just go with a straight answer instead of taking the potential bate.

Me: Yeah but something came up so now I'm at home.

Me: Sorry for not being able to hang out today. I regret saying no

Ethan: It's ok. I just went to the shelter and played with puppies

Just the idea of the loner boy, playing with dogs, brought a smile to my face. He was great with animals and I knew how much he liked them, even if he wouldn't say that aloud.

Me: Haha. I bet they enjoyed your company

Ethan: I would hope so. I spent the entire time chasing them around and playing games.

I actually laughed. Out loud. It was such a simple sentence but it was hilarious coming from Ethan.

I could picture him now, running around in a frenzy, almost falling as he was trying to control the dogs as they played.

Hilarious!

Grinning, I responded.

Me: That sounds like a lot of fun, maybe I should join you next time

Ethan: I wouldn't mind.

Did he just say that? I could feel the heat creeping to my face and ears and I risked a glance around.

Oh right, I'm alone in my room. Besides, why would that matter? Why am I even blushing? It was barely an invitation. 

Bringing me out of my thoughts, my phone dinged to show I had another message. 

Ethan: But seriously man. Are you ok?

The idea that he cares enough to ask me set a light warmth in my heart.

Me: Yeah.. well, if I'm being honest, a little upset.

Me: Veronica ditched me to hang out with the girls.

I probably shouldn't have told him that. He could easily tell her my thoughts. I was about to delete the messages when his response came in.

Ethan: Sorry to hear that. I bet it would have been a good date.

Ethan: Try not to get down, it's her loss.

I wanted to argue but I knew Ethan was stubborn, so I set that note of advice on my internal 'advice' wall.

Me: You're probably right. 

Me: Anyway, are you excited for the party? I know you didn't want to go but I think you'll have a good time.

Ethan: I am

That cocky little...

Ethan: On the subject of the party, I'm a bit nervous... I don't typically do well in crowded areas surrounded by drunk baboons

Me: Baboons? Our classmates have a little more class than a monkey, Ethan

Ethan: Have you been to their parties?

Me: ok.. maybe they are like drunk monkeys.

Ethan: Exactly. 

I laughed a little before responding.

Me: I'm sure you'll be fine. I wont let you out of my sight

Ethan: Well that's refreshing.

Me: I can read your sarcasm!

Me: Just give it a chance ok?

Ethan: ...Fine

Me: Good! Now, I have to go to bed, see you tomorrow

Ethan: goodnight.

After reading his message, I plugged my phone in its charger and closed my eyes.

Talking to Ethan lightened my spirits. He was easy to talk to without worrying about him judging or trying to solve things. 

He's a good listener.

Before long, I drifted off to sleep with Ethan on my mind.