13 • Date Fail

Eugene

I felt bad for saying no to Ethan but I already had plans. I watched as he walked off before heading into the locker room to change for football practice.

The coach started us off with simple drills to help remind us of the things we had worked on a little earlier in the summer. He was taking it easy because he knew you couldn't force yourself into too much after a break, otherwise you might hurt yourself and in football, you can't afford to have a pulled muscle or sore limbs.
We finished the drills and sat for the rest of the time, going over practices, times, schedules and games. Afterward, we headed in to change.

I quickly showered and changed into the nicer clothes I brought with me because I was going to pick Veronica up for the date right after I left the school. I had texted her yesterday so she didn't make any plans. After I got dressed, I took a quick look in the mirror. My jeans were dark and nice, a good contrast to my light grey long-sleeved shirt. Running my fingers through my hair only made it messier so I decided to let it be.

Before long, I arrived at Veronica's house. Her house was decently large with perfectly mowed grass and flower pots around the base of the house. She was one of the wealthier families in this neighborhood and it showed. Veronica was never shy about her wealth. That's part of the reason why everyone wanted the two of us to date. We are pretty well-off, money-wise, and because of our high positions in school, it's just natural for everyone to want us to be together.

I had asked her out around sophomore year and she finally agreed after we won a chance at the state championship. We've been together ever since, as sort of the school's power couple, but for the both of us, it's more than just status. We have an actual relationship; a bond.

At least... I think so.

I got out of the car and headed to the front door to knock. When she opened the door I could hear girls giggling in the background and Veronika didn't look dressed for the occasion. I passed it off as the girls and her taking the usual girly amount of time to get ready for dates.

Veronica smiled though she seemed a little surprised that I was there. "Hey boo, what are you doing here?" She asked with a tilt of her head as she stood on her toes and kissed my cheek.

I could feel my eyebrows scrunch with confusion " what do you mean? I told you I would be here around this time to pick you up." 

Was I missing something?

Veronica made a silly face and smacked her lips together, "Pick me up for what?"

My confusion only increased and I stood there for a moment trying to figure out if I forgot something. "For... our date? I texted you yesterday about it and you said you were free."

Realization finally dawned on Veronica and she gave me a guilty look though, I could tell, it wasn't exactly sincere. "Our date? I must have forgot. I would totes go but the girls are already here. They wanted to hang out and I said they could, you know? I haven't had a girls night in a little while." She shrugged and shifted on her feet.

Holding back a sigh, I crossed my arms as I looked her over, "Veronica, I thought you would want to spend some time with me since we haven't been able to hang out lately. I planned a nice date at the restaurant." My lips were curved into a downward frown.

"Awe babe, that's so sweet. How about we have a date another night? We'll go somewhere fancy and it'll be special. We have plenty of nights, so you can go and relax with the boys, alright? And I'll stay here with the girls. Sound like a deal?" Veronica smiled to herself and nodded as if she was a genius for coming up with that plan.

I, on the other hand, was not nodding. I was disappointed. I had been looking forward to the date with her but it seems she went and made plans without me. I was feeling a little bit hurt.

Sighing, I shrugged my shoulders and glanced away. "Fine. I'll see you later, I guess."

She gave a little squeal that almost brought a smile to my face but the mood was dampened when I heard her friend call after her. "Thanks babe!" She kissed me on the cheek "I promise we'll have a nice night, another time!" She hugged me before running back inside to her friends where they were soon giggling.

Disappointed, I turned back and climbed into my car. 

I felt bad for saying no to Ethan. If I would have known Veronica would bail, I would have agreed. He probably wouldn't have changed his mind.

Sighing, I started the car and made my way home.

So much for that date.