19 • Cheater

Eugene 

After a few minutes Ethan slowly picked himself up. He sniffled briefly as he wiped his face to dry his still damp cheeks. Slowly, I helped him to his feet and he gave me a shy smile, "Thanks... I guess I needed that." He gave a small chuckle.

"You did" I confirmed "and you look pretty beat so if you want, I can walk you home..?" 

Ethan's eyes had slight bags and his fingers were a bit shaky from the emotional rollercoaster. To my surprise, however, he shook his head. The boy took a deep breath and got on more of a determined expression, "No. We went to the party to have fun. I don't want us to leave it on a bad note."

Again, I'm surprised so I asked instantly "Are you sure?" My eyebrows scrunched together. "It really wouldn't be a problem. We could always go to another party any other day." 

Ethan nodded and tried for a grin, "Yeah, I'm sure." He shrugged lightly. It was hard to explain but he looked less stressed after he let put all that emotion. I was happy to see that coming from him. "Let's get going, yeah?" 

I nodded in agreement and soon we start treading back through the forest, to the main street. It didn't feel like much time has passed, but we had probably been gone for at least half an hour, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people left the party already. I doubted Ethan or I would care very much though. 

Upon entering the yard, it was very clear that the party was very much still underway. People were laughing and tripping over each other, in the front yard, while the front door was left open; music blaring from inside the living room. 

Ethan and I moved to go onto the front porch, only for us to stop at the sight of two people making out beside the stair railing. 

For a moment, I didn't think anything of it but then I saw who the two were. My hands are clammy and my breath caught in my throat. I could see Ethan look at me out of the corner of my eye with concern, his eyebrows creased together. I would have thought this was cute if I didn't feel like I had just been punched in the gut. 

The guy was lightly pressed against the porch wall as she sloppily managed to kiss the girl. It was Michael. I didn't want to believe what I was saying. I wanted to blame this on a hallucination from how much alcohol I had consumed in the last hour but, in reality, I hadn't drank that much. The girl kissing Michael was none other than Veronica.

My girlfriend.

"Veronica?" At you sound of my voice, the two quickly separated. Veronica sloppily wiped her mouth, as if to hide the fact that her lipstick wasn't smeared completely all over her face. Michael coughed to clear his throat, which only ended up dragging more attention to himself.

My girlfriend stumbled over to me, a look of panic on her face. "Baby it wasn't what you think- Nothing was happening!" 

I can only stand there, still in shock from her betrayal. 

Soon I recovered and snorted with disbelief, "Oh? So your tongue wasn't down his throat just now? What else could that have been?" I was raising my voice now, drawing attention. 

I could see Ethan shifting awkwardly on his feet. I was embarrassed he had to see this.

Veronica drew my attention. She stuttered for an excuse, "Well, I mean- I'm drunk! You know that! I can't make proper decisions."

I rolled my eyes. She was blaming it on the alcohol.

Michael stepped up "Listen, man, she's right, this is all just a big mistake-"

I almost saw red when Michael defended her. I pointed a finger at him and jabbed the digit. My eyes narrowed, "And you. Don't even get me started on you."

I went to yell but a hand gently pushed me away from Michael. My eyes looked down to meet Ethan's blue ones. 

He must have seen my confusion because he shook his head, "They aren't worth it Gene." He said softly, his eyes sympathetic.

Taking a moment to disregard his words, my shoulder's droop and a sigh escaped my lips. I gave a defeated nod and turned to walk away from the group.

Just as I took a step, Michael baited "Besides. You can't blame it on her. It's your fault. You weren't satisfying her, so I stepped in to fill your place."

I would have attacked him right then and there but someone beat me to the punch.

Literally.

Michael dropped to the ground, howling in pain from his now broken nose.

Everyone was shocked to see Ethan standing over him, shaking out his hand. Presumably the fist that busted the guys face. He was muttered swear words under his breath.

He has a colorful vocabulary, I soon realize.

Ethan glanced at everyone before looking to Michael "I couldn't help myself" he admitted and grinned to me. 

"I've been wanting to do that for at least an hour."