36 • Distant

Ethan

This weekend was great. I don’t remember ever having that much fun, even when I was well known. I spent most of my time with Eugene. We spent Saturday recovering from our hangovers and watching cartoons. 

That sounds so silly coming out of my mouth but it’s true. We sat around and watched cartoons. 

On Sunday, I went home. I would have stayed longer if Mom hadn’t sent me a text to let me know they would be home for dinner. Dinner was awkward. Dad and I hadn’t talked about the text I sent a few months back so things were a little tense. Mom had tried to lighten the mood by talking about how she almost burnt the mashed potatoes, which I find unbelievable because they tasted great.

It was nice to have them around again, even if we avoided some topics. We didn’t talk about Brian. We didn’t talk about work or school. We just talked about simple things, which was pretty ok. 

Sunday night I was a little worried though, because Gene hadn’t texted me. Not when I sent him funny cat memes or when I said goodnight. He just didn’t text me. He probably fell asleep so I let it be. I didn’t want to turn into the clingy boyfriend who craved attention 24/7... Even if I kind of did...

That’s ok, though, because today is Monday and I’ll get to hang out with him in class. 

I had woken up decently early this morning to get ready. I went for more of a casual look, wearing that hoodie I had stolen and some ripped skinny jeans with my converse. Looking in the mirror, I tended to my jet black hair. It was all over and needed a trim. I liked semi-long hair. It made it easier to hide behind my eyes but it was getting to the point I was going to be able to tie it back. I know, from experience, I can’t pull off a man bun.

When I was younger, I let my hair grow out. I had often been mistaken for a girl, which, I’m not hating on anyone who prefers hair like that, it just wasn’t for me. I’m not too worried about coming across as a girl now, but I still don’t want it to get that long.

The walk to school was pretty decent. Gene had sent a text this morning to let me know he wouldn't be able to pick me up because he was helping a friend move boxes so his seats were taken up. That was ok. I needed the walk to wake up more anyway.

Walking through the doors, I have a smile on my face as I catch sight of Eugene. He is wearing that jacket he always looks good in. 

But let’s be honest. He looks good in everything.

I watched as he pushed his blonde hair from his eyes as he rummaged through his bag. Just watching him do simple things set me at ease. 

Smiling to myself, I slid up against the locker beside him, “Hey Gene.” By the sound of my voice, I could see his shoulders bunch up. He must have been deep in his thoughts if I was able to startle him.

Eugene turned to face me with a tight smile, “Hey Ethan. How are you?”

“I’m pretty good. I didn’t have any bad dreams last night, so that’s good.”

Eugene nodded though he didn’t meet my eyes, “That’s great! Sorry I couldn’t pick you up for school... I had that uh... Thing.”

Eugene really must be distracted. He’s never felt this closed off before. Even when we first met. Taking a step closer, I let my worry cross over my face, “Are you ok? You seem a little distracted.”

It took a moment for him to answer and it took even longer for him to meet my gaze, “Yeah, I’m fine. Just a bit tired and stressed from football.”

Oh. That’s reasonable. The coach has been pushing them hard. Smiling, I nod, “Well, you have been working hard. Make sure to rest and drink a lot of water, ok?”

He nodded and glanced away. At first, I had a minor panic attack because I thought Eugene was looking at Veronica. She was at her locker, messing with her phone.

Why would he be looking at her? 

I soon realized he was actually looking at his teammates who were a few feet away from her. Eugene cleared his throat, catching my attention. I peered up at him through my bangs and watched as he shifted on his feet, “I’m going to head to class. Will you be ok walking to yours on your own?”

Often, we took turns walking each other to class. We only didn’t do that on rare occasions. I don’t know why, but for some reason, that dug a pit into my stomach.

Imitating what could be passed as a smile, I nod, “Yeah. Don’t worry about me. I’ll see you in class.” Unfortunately, we only have a few classes together, and the only one we can talk to each other in is Biology.

Without much of a goodbye, Gene walked off, passing Veronica - thankfully - to go talk to his friends.

Gene was definitely acting odd but not to an extreme amount so I let it go. I’m sure when he feels comfortable, he’ll talk to me.

So all I can do is wait.