\𝓃𝒾𝓃ℯ𝓉ℯℯ𝓃\

~

~

Three days before the start of O.W.L.s, Professor McGonagall stood to make an announcement at breakfast. "I have good news," she said, and the Great Hall erupted.

"Dumbledore's coming back!" several people yelled joyfully.

"You've caught the Heir of Slytherin!" squealed a Ravenclaw girl.

"Quidditch matches are back on!" roared Wood excitedly.

When the hubbub had subsided, Professor McGonagall said, "Professor Sprout has informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those people who have been petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with our catching the culprit." The hall erupted once more, this time in cheers. Behind Eleanora, the twins wolf whistled and yelled. When they'd finished eating, they left the hall happier than any of them had felt in days.

"We should celebrate," George said, walking slightly ahead of the other two. "We haven't been to the kitchens in awhile, let's do that." They changed course, heading back towards the hall that led to the kitchens. It felt odd to be in the halls without a large group of people.

"If Percy found us he'd have a fit," said Eleanora said gleefully, laughing at the thought.

"I'll write Mum, I will," Fred imitated Percy's voice. "One more step out of line..." Just then, they heard footsteps coming closer from a nearby corridor.

"In here, in here," said Eleanora, pulling them into a broom cupboard and closing the door just in time. She heard George light his wand behind her and the rustle of paper. She turned around, putting a finger to her lips for silence, but watched the Marauder's Map George had pulled out closely. She squinted closely at the space right outside of their closet. Draco Malfoy, the dot read. She had just enough time to give the twins a confused look when the door swung open, revealing the pale, blond second year boy.

"Scared, mudblood?" he said in a cold voice, laughing.

"What're you doing here, Malfoy?" Fred spat, stepping in front of George and Eleanora, out of the closet.

"Just looking for any way to help the heir- did you like my note, Marks?" He said her last name with such disgust, her heart clenched.

"Your note?" said George, joining his brother in facing Malfoy, who only laughed.

"Of course it was my letter. What, you think the heir of Slytherin himself would leave a dirty blood traitor like you a note."

Eleanora glared down at the boy. "If you have a problem with my dad, why don't you take it up with him," she growled, drawing herself up to her full height.

Malfoy drew his wand, but it was Fred's turn to laugh menacingly. "I don't think you want to do that, mate. It's three to one and we're all older."

Malfoy didn't back down. "My father taught me some spells you've never even heard of," and then without warning, "Cruc-"

Fred, George, and Eleanora cast their spells at the exact same time. Hit by two stunners and a disarming spell, Malfoy flew backwards, landing on his back on the hard floor. "Ah, well. That felt good," said George, looking carefully at Malfoy, who wasn't moving.

"Should we, ah- check on him?" Eleanora asked.

"He tried to use a torturing curse on you, I hope he's dead," Fred said, then turned around. "We should go, don't want to be found-" Just then, Professor McGonagall's voice, magically magnified, floated down the corridors.

"All students to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staffroom. Immediately, please." The trio exchanged worried looks and started down the corridor. 

"Wonder who's been attacked this time," George said, letting Fred and Eleanora through the portrait hole ahead of him. When they got in, McGonagall was already standing in the middle of the common room, as if waiting for them.

Her face was contorted with worry. "Yes, Weasley, Weasley, Marks. You'd all better sit down." They took seats near Percy just as Harry and Ron entered. They both looked stricken and scared. McGonagall instructed them to sit too.

"Wait a moment," said George. "Where's Ginny?"

McGonagall looked as though she might cry. "I'm sorry- Ginny- The monster has taken her... to the Chamber of Secrets."

They sat in stunned silence. "She what?" Fred said at last, as if begging McGonagall to tell him he'd just misheard her.

"We're doing everything we can- I'm sorry."

When McGonagall left the common room, Percy got up and muttered something about sending an owl to his parents. He strode out after McGonagall. The entire house was situated in the common room, but it was quieter than ever. Fred, George, Harry, Ron, and Eleanora all sat in the corner, not saying anything. Time seemed to pass in an odd way. It felt like the minutes were dragging on and on, but before they knew it, the sun was beginning to rise. Percy had come back to the owlery and immediately shut himself away in his dormitory, not speaking. Finally, as the common room was bathed in golden light, George shook his head as if answering some sort of un-asked question.

"I can't take it," he said. "I'm going to bed."

Fred stood and joined him and Eleanora, with nothing better to do, parted ways with the boys and slumped into her own dormitory. She hadn't realized how tired she was until she collapsed onto her bed and fell asleep almost immediately.

She was woken partway through the night by someone shaking her shoulder. In the dark, she couldn't tell who it was until she spoke.

"Wake up, dear, it's me. It's okay, come on," Mrs. Weasley said, wrapping her arms around the girl she thought of as a second daughter. Eleanora could feel Mrs. Weasley crying, little sobs shaking her body.