Chapter 34

A/N Wendy appears. Zeref and Natsu spar (for fanservice).

Having Lucy with him meant that they could resume their training exercises. While doing some early morning combat training, Natsu could feel that she had improved under Mira's regime. He was helping her to incorporate the whip in her fighting style.

She got the hang of it quick enough, and even managed to snag his leg once or twice. Which was impressive. Natsu was holding back, but he hadn't intentionally allowed her to do it.

When they were taking a bit of a break, Zeref found them. Looking at their tired and sweaty bodies, he raised an eyebrow.

"Already? Didn't you two just start your relationship yesterday?" Then he whispered, "Although, I'm not one to judge."

"We were training", Natsu said, in a completely deadpan voice, as Lucy coughed and sputtered in shock.

"Oh, that's interesting! What kind of magic do you have, Lucy?"

"Uh, we weren't training magic, because I have Celestial Spirit magic but no contracts."

Zeref looked at her with wide eyes. "Celes- That's great! I can finally pass down my techniques!"

Lucy frowned. "What do you mean?"

Zeref moved his hands about as he explained. "You see, in object oriented magic, you just use magic energy. Pure magic energy! That way, you could potentially do any type of magic! Unlike Natsu, who has Dragon Slayer magic. If he wanted to do several types of magic, he would have to train separately."

"And I wouldn't?"

"That's the thing! The art of magic circles can help you do anything! Watch this!" Saying that, Zeref gathered magic energy in his fingers and drew a circle. He divided it into eight parts, then drew several complicated symbols on them. From a certain angle, the final result looked like a fish.

The magic circle turned grayish. Then Zeref motioned for her to watch closely, and began channeling magic into it. It started glowing brighter and bluer, until it suddenly flashed and shot out a funnel of water.

Lucy stared at it with her mouth open.

"That's so cool!"

Natsu frowned. "Isn't it too slow for combat applications?"

Zeref smirked. "Would you be up to a spar to test that theory?"

Natsu grinned widely. Ever since he had met his brother, he had wanted to know how he matched up against him.

"I have no objections to that."

"Great! Lemme call Mavis first, she would love to watch me in a fight. It would really get her going, if you catch my drift."

Natsu did catch the drift, and he wouldn't admit it, but he hoped it would apply to Lucy too. Y'know, watching him fight.

Mavis appeared to puff into existence beside Zeref.

"Did anyone say there was going to be a fight?"

Within minutes, all the illusionary messengers had been sent, and both Erza and Gray arrived there to watch. Erza was sure that Natsu would win, and Gray was rooting for Zeref, but inwardly expected Natsu to win.

Mavis clapped her hands together. "Begin!"

Natsu took in a breath, preparing a roar. Zeref contemplated creating a shield, but that wasn't the purpose of the fight. It was to show that magic circles could be used fast enough to fight with them.