Chapter 10

Natsu looked at her with a puzzled expression. She cared if he went hungry or not. He felt like refusing, just to see how she would react, but his stomach told him otherwise. If he declined, he would probably jump on the next person he saw who had blood running through their veins.

"Thank you." Igneel and Sangy had taught him some weird thing, etiquette or something like that. He had never felt like using it before.

Lucy held her wrist in a weird position, not sure if she was supposed to offer it to him or not, when he leaned in. She felt his fangs graze her neck, and she let out a shiver. When his fangs pierced her skin, she felt some pain, but the moment he started sucking her blood, it disappeared.

It was so damn arousing. Lucy had let out several moans before she noticed and tried to stifle them. Unsuccessfully being the keyword. When he finally pulled away, she tried to put her neck against his fangs again, but he held her back.

"If I take anymore, you'll die." Lucy groaned as the heat faded away. Immediately, her cheeks turned red. "Wh- how- why- What was that?!"

Contrary to popular vampire lore, that was not a normal side effect from a vampire or a dragon's bite, nor had it ever happened to anyone else. So, Natsu had no answer to her not-so-eloquent question. Well, he did have a suspicion, but it was probably wrong.

"What was what? What happened?"

Lucy had red cheeks as she said, "That was- I mean, I didn't expect it to be so- well, hot!"

It had taken almost all her willpower to say this out loud, so it does not need to be explained what her reaction was when Natsu asked her whether it was because of his higher body heat as a dragon slayer.

"Ow." Natsu complained, rubbing his chest, eyes fixed on the retreating figure of Lucy. "Damn, she sure hits hard." However, unknown to himself, there was a small smile on his face.

Lucy was mortified at what had happened. She quickly ran off to her house. She shut the door and went on to write her story. After a while, she fell asleep on the table.

When she woke up the next morning, Lucy was torn between staying at home or going to the guild and meeting Natsu. Her cheeks became red every time she thought of him. Nonetheless, she steeled herself. She could do this. She would eventually have to. He must have known what would happen; it was just a side effect. Right?

Throughout her walk to the guild, she felt as though something was going to happen. And she wasn't going to like it.

Her suspicions were indeed proven right. When she walked in, all eyes fell upon her. Not hostile, but pitiful eyes. Lucy looked around, apprehensive. As she was moving to her seat, Mirajane came to her with an apologetic look.

"Lucy, could you come with me? The Master wants to talk to you in private."

"Um, okay."

They reached the Master's room before Lucy could work up the resolve to ask Mirajane what this was about. Mira left with a pitying gaze directed towards her. When she entered, there were two people there; the Master and his spoiled grandson, that blond guy. Laxus, was it?

The Master looked very apologetic as he said, "Have a seat, Lucy." Lucy sat down and looked intently at him.

"So, Lucy, what do you know about our ranking system?"

Lucy recited from memory, "The ranking system of Fairy Tail has two main classes, the normal mages and the S-Class. There are some higher levels that are allowed to go on Decade or Hundred Year Quests."

"Yes, well, ahem, that isn't really accurate." At Lucy's confused look, he explained further. "There are other rankings too, from E to A, then S rank, then SS and SSS. After that they are considered legends. Do you understand till now?" Lucy gave a tentative nod.