Chapter 16

After holding onto Lucy for a while, Natsu asked, "I really messed up, didn't I?"

Lucy rubbed his shoulder in a consoling manner. "You didn't mess up, Natsu. There was no way you could have known he was going to do something like that. Right now, we need to concentrate on how to get him back."

Natsu straightened. "You're right. I'll go to the guild." He fixed her with a look. "I won't be there for some time, okay? You can ask Mira to train you. She will definitely oblige."

"Can't I come with you?" Lucy looked at Natsu with a worried gaze that was too adorable to be true.

"You aren't allowed to, remember? That's why I'm training you."'

Lucy crossed her arms. "You aren't allowed to either. Master Makarov banned you after the Lullaby mission."

Natsu blinked twice. "He's my cat," he finally stated, as if it was a trump card.

"I'm the reason he left!"

Natsu took in a deep breath. "I can easily leave and make sure that you don't follow me. Believe me, I will."

Lucy knew it when she lost an argument. "Fine," she conceded. "Just come back safely, alright?"

That was the first time any human had worried about his safety. Others either didn't care or knew that he would never get hurt. They were right, but still. It felt good.

"Don't worry. I'll come back safely. Let me drop you off at the guild and then I'll leave."

Lucy's hand went up on its own, grazing his cheek. She immediately pulled back, looking embarrassed of her action. "Let's go," she agreed.

Opening the door to the guild, they were greeted with a flurry of noise. Natsu didn't pay any attention to them and went to Mira.

"What happened here?" he asked.

Mira waved her hands about before answering, "Somebody stole an S-class mission!"

Natsu slumped. "Yeah, I know. It was Happy." He looked up at Mirajane. "Mira, I'm going to go and get him back. Could you train Lucy for me until I come back?"

Mira stuttered. "Y-yes, of course, Natsu. Don't worry, just get Happy back." Lucy gave him a tentative smile.

Natsu smiled in return, though it didn't exactly reach his eyes. He turned and left.

The moment he left, Max; the sand mage guffawed loudly. "So Natsu's pet is causing trouble, huh? Figures. He can't even handle a cat. Or maybe he forced the poor cat to go. Someone like him can do anything."

The whole guild became deathly silent, as if worrying whether Natsu had heard him or not. After several seconds, they relaxed again.

Lucy's arms were balled into fists. The look on her face was filled with so much concentrated anger. She began walking towards Max, but a brown-haired boy reached him first. Lucy recognized him as Loke.

Max's hand was on the table. Loke covered it with his own.

"What's up, Loke?"

Loke didn't say a single word. His hand began glowing with intense light.

Max's face scrunched up in discomfort. A few cries left his lips. Then he began screaming in pain.

By the time Loke let go, the skin on Max's palm had fused with the table. Loke gave the rest of the guild a polite smile and went back to where he was sitting, where two girls immediately climbed on him and began trying to do unspeakable things to him.

Meanwhile, Gray and Erza were on a boat travelling to the Tower of Heaven.

"So, does Laxus really like Mira?" asked Gray.

"You're the boy. You should know," Erza shot back. "All I know is that she likes him, I have no idea whether he likes her back or not."

"Oh."

After a bit of silence, Gray asked, "So, where is this Tower of Heaven? You were pretty insistent that we don't need a map."

Erza's voice was lifeless as she said, "The coordinates were given in the request."

Gray spoke as people speak to children. "Erza, no one can find a place just by knowing the coordinates unless they know their coordinates or have a map. Unless," his voice got deeper and he frowned, resting his chin on his fingers. "You've been here before."

Erza became flustered and looked down. "Wh-what are you talking about?"

Gray grabbed her chin and lifted her face. "You know exactly what I'm talking about, Erza. No one gets as worried as you did back in the guild for someone they don't know. If I had to guess, the people whom you're worried about are just as close to you as we are."

Erza nodded. Under her breath, she said, "Especially him."

To lighten the mood again, Gray looked at her with a teasing grin. "Ooh! There's him, then. Does this him really appreciate being crushed upon by someone stronger than him? If so, you're in good hands, Erza! Most of us have ego issues in dealing with girls stronger than us."

Erza blushed a bit and smiled. She muttered, "He's stronger."

Gray's grin widened to immeasurable proportions. "What was that? Didn't quite catch you there, Scarlet."

Erza took in a deep breath. "I said HE'S STRONGER THAN ME! NOW SHUT UP BEFORE I PUNCH YOU!" She proceeded to punch him anyway.

They sat in silence until the ruins of what was most definitely a tower came into view. Getting even closer, they could make out the outline of one person lying on the shore, playing with his dark black hair.

At the same time, Happy was at the gates of the village on Galuna island. He didn't know much about this mission, not knowing how to read but he could read the location. Maybe it was a party organizing job. Not that he would tell Natsu that, of course. After this, Natsu would realize that Happy was a good mage too! Maybe he would buy him fish!

Entering the village, Happy called out loudly, "Yoohoo! I'm here!"

The people of the village began peeking out of their homes. They slowly came out and began whispering amongst themselves.

"It's a cat."

"It has wings!"

Then, simultaneously they all glared at him with so much hatred that Happy wanted to hide behind Natsu, except that Natsu wasn't there!

"Demon!"

If you like this chapter, please Vote, Comment and Follow.