Chapter 35 - Peace Treaty

"So, what should we do with the former Alpha?" Cole asked, the last one to arrive at the meeting, held in an unconventional location, the clearing helped clear our heads, get better perspective on things. The decision ultimately would be decided by Alpha Knight, Alpha Viceras and myself, but we wanted the betas and a few others to weigh in as well. Amber stood beside Cole, as is her rightful place as the Beta's mate, Cooper stood beside Alpha Knight and Alpha Viceras stood by me. We allowed Roland, Jeremy and Alexis to stand in as well, the other wolves were busy patrolling and training, we sent Kyle away despite his protests for the opposite, he couldn't shift, he was strong but not strong enough, being only half wolf this wasn't his fight.
Everyone stood silent, their eyes flitting from one person to another until they all eventually, inevitably came to rest on me.

"So is every decision in the future going to be decided by me or are you guys going to have a mind of your own" I sighed shaking my head at them,

"But you do have an idea?" Cole said, bating his long lashes at me, earning him an elbow from my sister.

I nod, "a pretty stupid one but I think it may help us stop the war before all hell breaks loose" they all stood in silence waiting, "Turn Conrad over to the Hunters in exchange for a peace treaty" I said the words really fast trying to get them out as fast as I could, my eyes instantly darting to Holden to see his reaction, I knew he wouldn't like it, he said he was on board with his father getting punished but who can really stand around and accept the fact they're sentencing their own father to death.

"How can we be sure they will execute him?" this question from Cole earned him glares all round, he was being insensitive to the situation.

"Why wouldn't they?" Cooper interjected,

"My biggest concern is what they'll do before that" I voiced to them, "If we just hand him over we lose all control over the situation and they can do whatever they want to him. He may be in the wrong and need to pay for his actions but he is still a wolf, still our kin, he shouldn't have to suffer at the hands of our enemies before he dies." they all looked around, waiting for someone else to come up with something,

"So we just invite them to the execution?" Amber asks,

"That won't be enough" I say, "I would have been had the rules been followed when it happened, but now he wants more, to justify for the loss of time, he will want to do it himself" everybody nodded,

"So what do we do?" Alpha Viceras asked, looking at me, he wasn't very good at hiding his unbiased opinions on who should be in charge,

"I think we should hand him over, but on a previously allocated date and time and only after they have agreed to the terms of the peace treaty. I am waiting to notify Mr. Simmons on the change in leadership but I feel that will give away an advantage when we take the peace treaty to him he will find out but until then we need to keep this within the pack no one else can know. Not until we have at least drawn up a draft of the treaty that benefits both hunters and wolves, so it may take some time, I'll start it as soon as I can, the sooner we get things done the better it will be for everybody" I looked over at Holden again, I used a poor choice of words and I could see the pain in his eyes but it was too late now, the air was thin, the tension grew.

"We'll meet again when the treaty is ready and discuss the next step then" they all mumbled in agreement and started walking off, no on lingered, sensing that it was best if everyone disappeared. Once I was sure everybody was gone I slipped my hand into Holden's,

"I'm sorry" I speak the words coming out a mere whisper, our bond was pulsing and had been since Holden ascended as Alpha, overwhelmed by the emotions we are both constantly feeling it is hard to make sense of anything.