Chapter 24 - Little Wolf

Holden's POV

Lily's mind had been quiet, with the wall down she has to work over time to keep her thoughts from me. Everyday she has song lyrics playing on a loop, hiding things, thoughts, memories, not wanting me to see something which only made me want to know what she was up to if only to help her. She has been distancing herself ever since she returned, I could feel it not only in the bond but how she kissed me, how she touched me, still with emotion and love but also an unease. 

Being in wolf form the connection was easy to link too, Lily was training the pups, demonstrating moves with Alexis as her partner, the pups were focused on the moves and most got them on the first go just needing to sharpen up the manoeuvres. I could feel Lily's need to help the pups get it right, to get them ready, they were so young, as young as we were when we first started but we didn't have the threat of all out war, we didn't have to worry. It brought me great joy and pride with the way the pups looked at her, like the leader she was, the legend she was becoming to the wolves of our pack. The Infinite White. 

I hear Lily scoff through the link, clearly she disagrees. Cooper moved up to my, his sandy fur clearly scene within the forest green. 

"Weren't you on patrol this morning?" I ask keeping my pace, 

"I was bored, figured I'm come hang with you" it had been a while since Cooper and I hung out together, everything had just gone so wrong when we found out the hunters were back, friendships were put on hold, Cooper was put on hold, while I attended duties that the soon-to-be alpha needed to see to. But it was mainly Lily that took up most of my time, she has been through so much over the passed two weeks I had to make sure she was ok, not that she'd ever let on that she wasn't. 

"Have you noticed anything different with Lil?" Cooper questioned as if reading my thoughts, 

"She's been a bit distant lately but I don't think that's really different, she's been through a lot" I hoped that was all it was, it was hard to think that Lily was hiding something, keeping something in, she knew she could come to me about anything. 

"I don't know, she's usually pretty level headed, she's always been that way, great at holding a grudge but otherwise she's pretty easy to get along with. It's just lately she's been angry, darker, she bit my head off this morning for asking why she hadn't been on patrol yet" but before I could process anything more my ears picked something up, then my nose, it was another wolf, a rogue. Cooper caught the scent too and he let loose a growl, before I stuck my mussel in the air and howled for reinforcements. I saw the pups stop their training and watch as Lily ran from the shed, shredding her clothes as she turned into her wolf, Alexis and Tala following her. 

Coop and I followed the scent, we were getting closer, once we broke through the brush we come to a clearing, where it was just open plain for half a mile before connecting back to the woods. In the middle was a wolf, a huge wolf, his teeth bared, his eyes promised blood, his fur thin in some places, he was rough and ragged but strong I could tell that. 

"Identify yourself" I barked, but he just stood in silence, staring us down, 

"You have entered Sapphire Shadow Territory, you will identify yourself or be taken down where you stand" Cooper growled, the beta coming out in him, he stared down the big wolf, his teeth bared in a show of aggression but still the wolf did not answer. 

I sense the other wolves closing in but one had already arrived, the imposing strength and might of my father, he stepped in front of us. 

"Are you Alpha Conrad Knight?" his words low and menacing, like acid dripping from his mouth. 

"You are on my land, if you leave now no harm will come to you" I watched as the wolf's eyes turned murderous as his growled boomed within the clearing and he was soon charging, it wasn't going to take him long to get to us. My father took his defensive stance, planting himself to the ground, centred, waiting for the wolf to reach him. But just as he was about to reach us, he was barrelled over, looking over Lily, Tala and Alexis, roll over and get up, snarling and snapping at the wolf. I ran to Lily's side with Cooper following me, he couldn't take on five of us. But the wolf just stood there, staring, his snarl like a permanent presence on his. His eyes scanned over all of us until they landed on Lily, glancing over her beautiful white coat. 

"You must be Lily" he spoke, his voice had changed from one of poison and vengeance to a deep playful tone I didn't like. Lily was shocked but she didn't let on, she kept her cool, not acknowledging the fact he knew her name. 

"And you are?" she asked, it came out as a growl that he only chuckled at. 

"You'll learn soon enough, until next time Little Wolf" her mind turned to fear, I felt it she was scared, the nickname meant something to her, something bad. I wanted to find out but my attention was taken as the wolf turned around and took off for the trees. I wanted to make sure everything was ok but before I could even nuzzle her to show her I was there she took off back towards the pack house. 

***

I found her in my room, she had already had a shower and she was just sitting there, staring into space, contemplating something but I didn't want to pry, I wanted her to tell me. 

"What does Little Wolf, mean to you?" I ask, approaching slowly, I knelt in front of her, I wait for her to look at me, which felt like an eternity. 

Finally her silver eyes connected with mine and I could see some much terror within them. 

"Not so much me as it does Amber" she whispered, "when were taken by the hunters, at the compound, there was one hunter, who took particular pleasure in tormenting Amber" I felt my blood start to boil at the thought of little Amber being terrorised in the dark, in the filth, cold, alone and scared. 

"He liked to call her Little Wolf" She stated, 

"So you think that Wolf was him?" I questioned, she shook her head, 

"No, but I think that wolf knows the Hunters, or at least that Hunter" her voice shook, her mind going to Amber, knowing she was safe with Cole but that still didn't stop her from worrying. 

"Little Wolf isn't an uncommon term for wolves" I tried to make light of the situation which she didn't seem to appreciate, she pushed me out of the way, and started pacing the room. 

"Then how did he know my name? He looked right at me and called me Little Wolf, like he knew it would affect me" I went to console her but she shrugged off my touch which hurt but I can understand she's feeling vulnerable at the moment. 

"Why do you think a wolf would be helping the hunters?" I ask instead hoping she sees that I am listening to her and believe her. 

"I don't know, I mean the Hunters could use it as an edge, but I don't get why a wolf would help them, unless..." she trailed off, 

"unless what?" she was insufferable when it came to explaining things, but I waited for it all to tick over in her head. 

"Unless he wasn't always a wolf" she spoke, 

"You mean a hunter turned into a werewolf?" she nodded, "That's impossible" 

"No it's not" she rebutted, stopping in front of the door. 

"Our pack is only born wolves but there are other packs out there that can pass on the gene through a bite, I mean we don't know what that would do to a person, that wolf was huge, strong and terrifying, I've never seen anything like him" 

"We can't go to my father, not until we have proof" I tell her, 

"Then we need to get proof" determination filled her eyes, 

"How?" I ask, she just turns and walks out the door.