Chapter 26 - Infinite White

Sleep didn't come that night, there was too much on my mind, I knew if I kept going like this I wasn't going to be at my strongest when the inevitable battle ensued. I decided to let the night air lull my to sleep so I went and sat on the back porch, staring into the woods beyond, hearing the sounds of the night, the gentle wind rustle the leaves, the creaks of the trunks, the odd sound of an animal in the distance. 

Footsteps sounded from upstairs, too heavy to be a females, and not a well known like my dads. I smiled as the steps head right for me like they were intended too all along. 

"Don't tell me you couldn't sleep too?" I speak as he steps across the threshold, 

"Something like that" he smiles before coming to sit next to me, I turn to look at him, he wasn't in Beta mode, he was in friend mode, the same guy who had helped me at a low point in my life, who made me feel strong enough to return. 

His blue eyes illuminated by the moon it was nearly full, only a few more nights to go and we would be rounding up the pups and have them change in the cellars. We usually don't do that, they are able to run free and wild and we are there to help them out but with the hunters around it isn't safe. 

"What's on your mind?" he asks, I'd like to think that Cole just knew be too well but anyone could see that there were things plaguing me. 

"The pack's starting to question whether or not I can lead them" I breathed out, "They're questioning why I am always the target for the hunters and wonder if my past circumstances are effecting my judgement and ability to lead the defence line". 

"That's crazy, everything you do, you do for the pack, you're the only one who's really doing anything, you where the one to discover the hunters were back in town, you have a close connection to them through Taylor. Anyone who questions you or your ability to effectively lead the pack army is an idiot and don't know the first thing about what's going on" I managed a half smile, 

"Thanks for trying to make me feel better" I say, turning to look at the woods again, 

"It's not just that Lily, I have yet to meet a warrior like you, you are strong in and out, you live and bleed for the pack which you have done on several occasions just in the past week. This pack is lucky to have a wolf like you in its ranks but remember, you were chosen for a reason, you earned your spot and you will have to continuously prove you deserve it and you will because that is who you are." he sounded so sure, more sure than me, I still had no idea if what I planned to do was the right thing. 

"I'm not so sure anymore, they're right, everything has taken a toll on me, I'm unsure if I can trust myself anymore"

"Where we fail, our wolves won't" Cole recited a line from the commandments, 

"With the two of you working in harmony, you are unstoppable. You are the Infinite White" I roll my eyes at him, I was really starting to hate that name, it gave everybody false hope, turning me into some unstoppable hero, which I was far from. 

"You don't know the story of the Infinite White do you?" he asked, 

"There's a story?" I scoff, not being able to believe it. 

"Yes, and I'm going to tell it to you" he waited to hear my protest but I decided to amuse him and gave him permission to continue you. 

"It's a story more prominent in the Southern Packs but the Infinite White came from the desert, their coat shone day or night. But in human form the Infinite White was an Alpha, a beautiful ice white haired beauty with bright green eyes. She was said to be the most powerful in the world, all who came against her either fell or succumbed to her power and joined her, she had the largest pack ever seen which just added to her power. But one day, a demon wolf crossed her path, larger than her, stronger than her, faster than her" my mind flashed to the wolf in the clearing,