Chapter 32 - The Birds, The Bugs & The Breeze

Holden's POV

I wasn't surprised to find that Lily's parents had opened their home to Alpha Viceras and his pack, it was a bit crammed with most of his packs best warriors inside a house designed for no more than six people. Mrs Dexter was cleaning up when I arrived, the air was filled with the different scents of the wolves, mixed with the food they must have just eaten. The pleasant scents disappeared when the air turned frosty, Alpha Viceras knew I was here, Mrs Dexter looked up from packing away the dishes and gestured for the back door, she could barely look at me, not that I blame her, up until minutes ago I was still hoping my father would come to his senses. 

Their back yard was grass surrounded by flower bushes and beyond that it met the woods, nothing but darkness lingered beyond it. The porch lights shone onto the back deck and the lawn where wolves sat either on the grass or on chairs, talking among themselves, that was until they realized I was standing at the back door watching them. They all rose to their feet, snares and glares all pointed in my direction, to my left was Alpha Viceras with Cole and Amber and a few other close members of the pack. I noticed a few of the wolves from the Sapphire Shadow pack, Mickey and Quinn, friends of Lily's were seated among them, as well as Tala, Lily's mentor. 

Amber rose from her seat and stalked towards me, I knew what she was going to do but I let her do it anyway, I betrayed their trust, all of them by not believing Lily by leaving her in the bunker. Everyone turned and watched as Amber pulled her arm back and swung her fist at my face, connecting with a crack I felt my nose shatter on impact, the force nearly knocked me off my feet, I was surprised Amber packed a punch like that, keeping my fingers in place on my nose it didn't take long for the cartilage to reset but it'll take a few minutes to heal back into place. 

"Why are you here?" Alpha Viceras spoke from behind her, standing up from his seat, Amber turned her hate filled gaze away and moved back to Cole's side.  

"I know the truth, I want to help save Lily", I heard someone scoff and I look over at Tala, she didn't bother to rise, she stayed seated among the others, 

"So you only want to help her now that you know the truth" she called out, everybody had gone silent, only the birds, the bugs and the breeze could be heard now.

"No, I always knew Lily had a good reason for doing what she did, but when she told me I didn't want to believe her, you have to understand he's my father and my Alpha, everything in my nature told me not to go against him. But I came to realize that my father would do anything, even sacrifice his pack in order to hide what he did, even sentence the love of my life to death, regardless of the consequences, to me or any other wolf in the pack" I took a deep breath before I spoke again, "He needs to be stopped, my father has gone his whole life being in power and now he believes he is above the Code and Pack Law, the Pack Law is our rules, the Code is who we are, it extends to every pack, to every wolf, if we do not adhere to it than we become the very savages the hunters think we are". Alpha Viceras gave a stiff nod in agreement, 

"You understand what it means for your father?" I did. I did not like it, but he couldn't get away with it anymore, he couldn't get away with sentencing Lily to death when he hadn't the means to do so. He made a fatal mistake all those years ago and the pack has been paying the price ever since, it was now his turn. 

"I understand that my father has to die" nobody objected, everybody here knew what needed to be done, everybody here wanted to fight for Lily, to die for Lily and I wanted to do the same. 

Alpha Viceras held out his hand and with out hesitation I grip his forearm, my allegiance shifting, I felt my wolf move within me, he agreed with this decision and if I gave him control he would kill my dad, which is why I am going to have to keep him under control, I agreed he needed to be stopped but I couldn't do it with my own hands but would I be able to forgive the person that did?