Chapter 44 - Howls on the Wind

Taylor POV

I watched as dad put another clip full of bullets in the target on the other side of the field, further away were a group of our cousins trying to best each other, Tim, who had been the one to put an arrow in Lily's shoulder was now resting with a pack over his shoulder after I dislocated it. His filthy glare that was aimed directly at me I returned with a mischievous grin.
"All for a fucking wolf" he growled,
"Would you like me to break it next time" I offered,
    "I wasn't even aiming for her" he countered, he rose from his position to show his seriousness but it didn't do anything to dull Taylor's anger,
    "Which shows you need to work on your aim" Stephan Simmons spoke up as he unloaded and reloaded the next clip.
"She jumped straight in front of it" his movements getting more exaggerated the more he tried to explain,
"You need to keep a constant surveillance on what is happening around you and anticipate your opponents movements before they make them" he walked him through the same rhetoric that every Hunter receives during their training.
"Nobody was prepared for that demon fucker to show up, the meet was for the Alpha not his wife, there was no way they were going to hand her over without a fight" he continued,
"Lily would have honoured the agreement" I yelled stepping closer to the Hunter,
"She would have had to take on both Alpha's then, they wouldn't have let her go, hell we haven't heard a single word from them since that day. What about you Taylor? You did nothing that day and since that day you have done nothing, how about calling up your buddy, this so called 'Infinite white' and asking when they're going to hand over the Luna". We were nose to nose with each other now, so close I could see the red in his eyes, feel his breath on my skin, though he stood a little taller than me he wasn't a threat.
"Enough!" the loud boisterous voice of my father sung out across the field, garnering the attention of the rest of the Hunters that were practicing,
"Are you two done with your pissing contest?" he stalked over to us as we took a step away from each other, "we are fighting a war, and all you two are doing is fighting over the events of the past. We looked forward, not back, we know the truth now, and as much as I hate to admit it the Luna is second on our list of concerns. That demon wolf, posses a threat to all of us, not just the wolves and now he has taken Alpha Knight gods knows where and we're even further behind than we thought" I always knew my father to be a jump first, question later sort of man, so hearing what just came out of his mouth shocked me
    "So we're not worrying about the Luna?" I ask,
    "For all we know she is dead, not many wolves would have been able to survive the attack the demon wolf dealt on the Luna, least of all her" the air stilled and the wind blew, and on the wind carried the howls of hundreds of wolves, not war cries, not mating cries, these were sorrowful, mournful, I turned to my dad who was trying to pinpoint the direction they came from but you couldn't, they were coming from everywhere and just grew louder and louder until some Hunters were covering their ears.
    "Well now we know" he speaks out defeated, the death of the one who killed my mother was all my father wanted, for years, their death is what drove him and I wasn't sure if it was despair on his face for not being the one to kill her or a loss because now his sole drive and purpose was gone. The Luna was dead, and I want nothing more than to call Lily to confirm, to comfort, but after the phone call that nearly broke my heart to hear and feel her so broken and defeated I don't know if I should.
    "What do we do now?" I wonder out loud,
    "First we'll go pay our respects and make sure that bitch is dead and then we work out a way to kill that demon wolf".