chapter 1

A GRUMBLE LEFT Zara's lips as she stuffed her books in her bag, her feet guiding her to the exit of the library where she had been working for the past four hours

A GRUMBLE LEFT Zara's lips as she stuffed her books in her bag, her feet guiding her to the exit of the library where she had been working for the past four hours. Her english teacher had given them a book to read and it had engrossed Zara enough to make her forget the time.

But it wasn't like she would get in trouble or anything. Unlike most people her age, she didn't live with her mama and papa or any siblings. She didn't even have them in the first place. Not anymore.

She hit the pavement, finally managing to stuff all the books in her bag. A wind blew her brown hair forward and Zara cursed herself when the cold hit her for forgetting her beanie at home. Again.

She pulled the phone from her pocket. Squinting her amber eyes, she realised it was way past midnight. Most libraries would be closed by now but studying in public library had its perks.

She stuffed her phone back in and pulled the sleeves of her jumper over hands, blowing at them to provide them some heat. August was almost over and with it came the late night cold winds. In a few weeks the cold would start affecting people during the day as well.

Zara didn't mind though. She loved the winters. You could always wear more layers if you felt too cold but you can only take off so many clothes in case you are feeling hot. Hence why she hated summers.

And the cold provided some strange form of comfort to her. She loved the atmosphere that the winters brought and she loved the cool winds that always made her feel closer to nature. As if telling her that at the end of the day we would all dissolve back into that nature, our souls made of stardust would be carried away by these very winds.

A yawn escaped her lips and she thanked heavens that it was finally weekend. She would have to go to work tomorrow despite the holiday, since Friday was her only day off, but she loved her job.

Taking a turn, she kept her gaze focused on her feet as she walked, randomly counting her steps and trying to align them to cross counted stones in one move. The street light above illuminated her path, the golden glow providing her warmth.

She walked for another few minutes when the glow suddenly dimmed. She looked up then to find a flickering street light which was clinging on to the last of its energy to survive.

Just as she was staring, the light next in row also flickered before shutting away. And then another.

Zara was unconciously aware of the emptiness of the street and started walking again, her steps quickening without any consent. A shiver crept down her spine, though she was sure it wasn't because of the cold this time.

She was almost around another corner when she caught the sound of hurrying footsteps behind her. She quickened her pace to check if the steps were after her. Her suspicions were comfirmed when the steps following her quickened as well.

No no no, she thought frantically. She couldn't get caught. She glanced at passing shop windows and found a man in black hoodie following her, a mask covering the lower half of his face. She could see his steps getting faster and dread creeped up her spine.