chapter 24

IT WAS A surprise, really, when someone sat down across from her asocial ass in the library

She blinked, pausing mid-sentence of some book she was reading, when she felt a figure sit down right across from her chair at the same table. She had almost dozed off a second ago- the library scent wasn't helping- but now she was wide awake.

Carefully lifting her head, her gaze fell on a redhead sitting across from her. The girl's wavy hair fell over her shoulders while her nose was shoved in a book. Zara was sure the girl wasn't aware of her presence.

She must have felt eyes on her because she looked up the next second, her eyes widening in alarm when they fell on Zara. She immediately jumped to her feet as if someone had burned her and started assembling her books.

"Woah woah." Zara said and raised her hands in a calming manner,"You can sit down. I don't mind."

She normally would've but this girl seemed too quiet. And a reader so definitely her type.

The girl shook her head. Zara's brows furrowed,"No really, I don't mind. You can sit down."

She looked hesitant, biting her lip and looking from Zara to the table as if debating something. Finally, she nodded and sat down on the edge of the plush wooden chair.

There was silence until Zara cleared her throat and slipped off her glasses,"What's your name?"

The girl's gaze was focused intently on her lips for a second before she nodded, took out a pen and paper, and scribbled her name down in neat, uniform writing.

Norah

"That's a beautiful name. I am Zara." She introduced and the girl nodded shyly with a smile. She scribbled something down again and showed her.

Thanks. It's nice to meet you.

"Why are you talking by writing- wait." Her eyes widened and she turned to her, hesitant to ask the next question in case she offended her,"Are you speech impaired?"

The girl nodded and wrote something. And deaf.

"Oh." Zara immediately dropped the book in her hands,"Would you prefer talking in ASL, writing or texting? Or lip-reading if you want?" She offered.

Her eyes widened in surprise and she hesitantly wrote, you know ASL?

Zara nodded,"I do." She had learned LSF quite early because her mother had always insisted that she must be ready for anything. According to her, everyone should know sign language and it should be a required subject in schools. Sadly, that wasn't the case for most schools. After moving to the States, she had also learned ASL. She wanted to be ready for every situation.

Norah looked like someone had just told her that she had won the lottery. A beautiful smile appeared on her lips and she visibly bit on them to control her excitement. She didn't waste a second in moving her hands, rapidly signing.