chapter 4

"WHY DO YOU think I am your sister?" Zara asked,"And even if I am then where were you for the last fifteen years? Why did I never know about you?" She asked with her hands on her hips

All the brothers shared a look. Raphael had put down his phone a minute ago saying they would get the answers by tomorrow evening, much to her disappointment.

Finally Salvatore spoke,"Our parents got split when when we were young and you were yet to be born. We didn't even know that mom was pregnant. We found the reports of mom's pregnancy a week later. We tried searching for her a couple years later but she was gone. Completely off the radar. Since then dad has been making efforts to find you and we got the biggest lead yesterday."

Her mother was always cautious of their location. When she was still alive, she restricted them from making too much commotion. Anything to keep them off the radar. Zara hadn't minded. As long as she had her mother, everything was okay.

Still, there was something off about what they said. Why did they start searching only couple years later? What happened between those two events?

"Why did she leave?" She asked instead.

Leonardo bit his lip,"It isn't really our place to tell." He looked apologetic.

Zara was unconvinced. Of course she was. She couldn't just accept whatever some random strangers would say.

Seeing her expression, Leonardo sighed,"Our mother's name was Jade Dumont Romano. She always wore a round jade necklace with silver chain around her neck. She used to believe in the stars and destiny crap. Her favourite book was the Great Gatsby and she used to quote that. Like always. She had the perfect quote for every situation. She had the ability to turn everything positive.."

By the end he looked as if he was talking less to her and recalling more of his own memories. Zara's hand unconciously travelled up to her neck where the jade necklace rested.

She had found it after the accident when she was in the hospital and it was in her pocket. Her mother had slipped it in before she had went back to look for phone. Why? She didn't know.

Leonardo cleared his throat, as if pulling himself out of a daze, and smiled sadly at her,"I am sorry that she died."

Zara dropped her hand and nodded. She looked away from him, going over his previous words. The things he said were not something everyone knew. Heck, she was sure even her mother's sister didn't know these things about her. Maybe they were right..

"If you have any other doubts, we'll get a DNA test done. We have our dad's sample with us." Salvatore spoke and Zara hesitated, but nodded.

"That would be-" her words were cut off by another knock on the door and she let out an irritated sigh.

"What now?" She muttered, aldready feeling drained, both emotionally and physically.

She had half a mind to ignore whoever was on the other side but she strode towards the door and opened it nonetheless. And she came face-to-face with Mr. Smith, the person who owned this building and hence she paid rent to.