Moment of Weakness

So... update!

It seems some people really love this story, and I am so thankful for that love!

Warning: This chapter contains a description of a panic attack as well as flashbacks to a car accident. It also mentions depression and thoughts of giving up. Please read carefully, loves, and stay strong. 💕

Also, last chance for character ask questions. Leave any remaining ones, for ANY of the characters HERE!

Love you all. 🌹

Chapter 26:

   "Liam! Welcome back!" Laurence greeted as Zayn and I walked into the café. He was behind the counter, wiping it down, but he stopped what he was doing to approach me and shake my hand. His other hand gave me a pat on the back. "It's been hell without you, lad. My nephew did nothing but pout for days."

   "I did not," Zayn protested with a smile. "The customers still got a smile from me." He glanced at me. "I only pouted half the time."

  I felt my face heat up as I looked down at the ground. The butterflies in my stomach hadn't stopped, and I noticed that Zayn's hand was still firmly in my own. He made no move to pull away, but I broke our hands apart and tugged on my school bag.

   "I'll get started on some bread," I voiced, walking around Laurence and moving toward the back. However, his hand met my shoulder again.

   "I was actually wondering if you wanted to run the front counter today with Zayn," He suggested, looking at me with hope on his face. I froze at his suggestion. "I have a huge order to fill today and customer request forms to fill out in the back. Figured Zayn could use a hand up here while I'm back there."

   "I... I don't know if I can do that," I responded, closing my eyes gently.

  "You won't have to interact with the customers. You can just run the coffee station, and Zayn will handle the rest," Laurence tried, but I felt my whole body begin to shake. I didn't want to be where everybody could see me. Hiding in the back was like a little escape. I didn't have to look at myself, and I didn't have to see anybody else stare in horror.

  "I'll scare away the customers," I forced out.

 "Hey," Laurence said, turning me to him and speaking in a low voice that only I could hear. "I don't want those customers anyway. There is nothing wrong with who you are, Liam. Don't let those people scare you away into the darkness."

  I wanted to tell him that it was too late. They already have. Zayn could even attest to that. He saw how I could barely even look at myself.

  "I- I can't...." I trailed off, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I wanted to just lay in my bed again and waste the day away. Standing now was so much effort. Breathing was so much effort. "I'm sorry."

  I fought back the tears as best I could, but I felt one betray me as it slid down my cheek.

  "You don't have to be sorry, Liam," Laurence said. "You can sit in the back with me if you want. Zayn, do you think you can handle the front alone today?"

   "Why don't I fill the order and forms for you? You can man the front, and I'll stay with Liam in the back," Zayn suggested. "I really need to use my baking skills before they get rusty."

   His uncle was silent, and I didn't dare open my eyes. They were probably having some sort of silent conversation with their facial expression, and I felt worthless. I couldn't even handle such a simple task. I couldn't handle being alone. Everyone always felt like they had to watch over me, but I couldn't blame them. My mind was becoming increasingly terrifying with every passing day.