Faces

So sorry! This should have been up yesterday!

Anyways, here's a little chapter for you all. I will also be updating Guns & Roses soon as well. 😘

Chapter 11:

I stood outside of the café, my whole body shaking in fear. There were people inside, sitting at the tables and chatting quietly while others had their laptops out, typing away furiously or meticulously. It seemed so alive inside, and I began to question why I accepted Zayn's invite today.

I took a deep breath before finally opening up the café door. I felt a bit better when I realized that nobody even glanced up to see who was walking into the shop; they were all too invested in their work. I walked quickly over to the counter, keeping my head hanging low to hide away the horror beneath my hood.

"Good afternoon. What can I get for you today, Liam?"

I looked up hesitantly, recognizing the voice of Zayn's uncle. He smiled politely at me and waited patiently for my response. His eyes were the same kind eyes that I was met with the day before. They didn't seem to hold any fear or shock or prejudice. They were just naturally caring and inviting-- as if he was looking at the old Liam. The one without the scars littering his face.

"Um, Z-Zayn asked me to come today. I... I can leave... if you want me to."

Zayn's uncle shook his head, his eyes displaying pure confusion as he responded to me.

"Why would I not want you here?" He smiled and motioned over at a table near the side window of the café. "Zayn told me to expect you today. He comes in soon. Why don't you wait for him at a table, and I'll get you a cup of tea. On the house."

"I can pay...." I trailed off, knowing that I was lying. Normally, Ruth gave me enough money for a snack or something every week, but I haven't spoken to her all week. I was avoiding her and my father, afraid that they would only try to evaluate me or my moods.

"Nonsense. It's my café, and you're a friend of my nephew. It's my pleasure," Zayn's uncle stated.

I nodded briefly before he walked over to grab a glass to make tea in. I turned away from the counter and walked over to one of the empty tables near the windows, trying not to stare at the hideous reflection glaring back at me. It was like a terrible nightmare I could never wake up from, looking at my reflection. I didn't recognize that person, and I didn't want to be that person.

I jumped back a bit as I heard a loud knock on the window beside of me. "Hey, Frankenstein!"

I peeked out from the side of my hood, seeing Jaden outside of the window, along with a few of his friends from football. He grinned at me, a dangerous grin-- teeth as sharp and threatening as those of a shark behind aquarium glass.

I knew he couldn't hurt me from outside, but the threat was there nonetheless.

I turned my head, trying to avoid eye contact as best I could. I knew that's what he wanted-- to see my shame. It was always on full display. He didn't even have to make a request to see it. Couldn't he see that I preferred to stay in the shadows now anyway?

"That's right! Keep your head down, Payne!" His voice was muffled from beyond the window's glass, but the words still cut deep.

"Hey! Get out of here before I press charges for loitering!" Zayn's uncle called out, and Jaden rolled his eyes before flipping me the bird and walking away with his group of friends. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and flinched as Zayn's uncle set down the cup of tea with a heavy clank! He took a seat across from me and muttered out, "Lousy kids. They'll never make it in this world with that kind of attitude."