Surrounded

Sorry for the wait on this chapter! I wrote an announcement about it on my profile, but the gist of it is just that it's been a bit of a difficult time.

Here is the update! A bit of a filler one, but it does have some important parts that will be used or built upon later. Let me know what you think and any guesses you may have about any characters. ☺

WARNING: Depiction of a panic attack and guilt/depression. Please read carefully and know that you are loved. 💛💙💜💚❤

Chapter 28:

"Liam!" I heard a loud voice call, and I froze outside of the writing club door. I could hear a girl's laughter before I felt a hand fall on my shoulder. "Good to see you again, mate."

It was Niall. His hand on my shoulder made me uncomfortable, and the girl, Jasmine, seemed to notice.

"Ni, personal space," She said, shoving him aside. "How are you doing, Liam?"

"I'm fine," I forced out, my hand still stuck on the door handle. I knew people were already inside waiting for the meeting to begin. It took everything within me not to turn and run away right now. The rest of the day was already going to be taxing, so why waste more energy here?

I had to go to the psychiatrist's office after school today. Ruth was supposed to pick me up and accompany me to the appointment. I was being screened for depression, and I really didn't want to hear the results. I was already diagnosed with one mental illness. I didn't need to hear myself labeled with another.

"That's good," Jasmine said with a kind voice. I could imagine her smiling, and I knew it must be beautiful. She was obviously a pretty girl, and it was surprising that she would be nice to someone like me.

"I finally came to a meeting," Niall voiced. "Not really sure how this whole thing works. Can I sit with you so I don't seem completely out of loop?"

"Why?" I pressed, and I internally cringed as I realized how abrupt and harsh it sounded. Niall either didn't notice or just didn't care. "I mean... why not sit with Jasmine?"

"I just came by with Niall to drop him off and say hi before I have to go. Wish I could stay, but I have to go to my gymnastics class."

Gymnastics. That's the reason she was unable to put so much work into writing club now. Harry said her schedule changed, and I briefly wondered if she had always taken gymnastics classes and the time of her classes was just altered.

"Jasmine's taken gymnastics since she was five. You should see her in competitions. She's the best!" Niall complimented, making Jasmine hit his shoulder lightly.

"He's really hyping up my performance. I'm not that good."

"Are you kidding? She could go to the olympics if she wanted to!"

"Not exactly how the olympics work, Ni," Jasmine laughed out before giving him a hug. "Alright, I have to go. See you later. Bye, Liam. It was nice seeing you again. I hope I can attend the next meeting and hang out with you. If you want, of course."

I only gave a small nod, and she moved to hug me before pausing, remembering how uncomfortable it made me last time. She simply held her hand out instead, and I hesitantly shook it. Then, she was turning and walking away.

"Well, time to face the masses. Ready to go in, Payno?" Niall questioned with such enthusiasm. I didn't have time to respond before he was turning the handle for me and pushing the door open. Everyone inside turned to look at us, and Niall smiled widely. "Hello, everyone. Your club is getting the best new member it could ever hope for."