Friendly Acquaintances

Hello, guys!

Here's an update for you all during this terrible time. I hope this can take y'all's minds off of everything going on in the world for a while. It's all so surreal.

I hope to be updating lots of stories soon, now that I have more time at home.

Please stay safe everyone. Love you all! ❤

Chapter 14:

"What are you still doing here, Zayn? It's getting a bit late," Laurence said as soon as we stepped out of his office. The both of us were able to cover quite a bit today. He set up a schedule for me that would work well between school and homework, but I did neglect the fact to mention the writing club to him.

After the schedule was set up, he took me to the back to show me how he made the dough early every morning, how to proof it, and how to store it just in case he was unable to. Of course, he did mention that Zayn would help if I had any questions when he wasn't around, which I found quite interesting.

He also showed me how to wipe down and clean up all of the tables, where to take the dishes to wash and store them, and he taught me the order that the pastries usually went in the glass container below the counter. I did my best to remember, but he promised that it wasn't a big deal if I couldn't memorize it right away. Then he showed me how to bake a few more pastries and breads-- making me go through the motions and trying it over and over until I was able to get a near-perfect result for each one.

Of course, at the end of it all, he told me that the hours I just spent with him would be paid hours. That made me hopeful that I could probably use my first paycheck to treat my dad and Ruth to a nice meal instead of fifteen minute dinner ideas.

"I was just closing up the register. Also, I figured I could take Liam home," He said, looking over at me, and I instinctively ducked my head to hide my scars. It wasn't like being in the back room with Laurence. There, we were both focused on what we were baking with our hands. Now, I was the center of Zayn's attention, and it was all so intimidating.

"Only if you want me to, of course," He added in a softer tone of voice. I thought about walking home instead, but I was nodding my head before I could even get a word out to decline the offer. "Great!" Zayn said, and I could just hear the joy in his voice. It was still so bewildering.

"Well, let's get you two out of here so I can lock up," Laurence said, waiting for the both of us to walk towards the front doors.

I was painfully aware of the fact that Zayn was walking right by my side-- each foot fall matching perfectly with mine. I wondered briefly if he had planned that, but it was a ridiculous idea, and I found that my face grew hotter in my own embarrassment at the thought.

I followed Zayn over to his car, and we climbed into the driver's seat as I climbed into the passenger seat. We both buckled up, and I expected Zayn to drive away right then and there, but I grew curious as he gave out a content sigh and leaned back against his seat. I risked a peek over at him, and he turned to me with a smile gracing his features.

He reached out his hand to me, his fingers gently brushing against my chin as he lifted my head up we were eye level. I wanted to cover the horror that was now on full display, but I forced myself not to as Zayn's smile grew-- shiny, white teeth now on full display. It was dazzling.

"You don't have to hide from me."

I nodded slowly, if only so that Zayn would remove his fingers from my skin. I could only imagine how the scars must feel. The skin was patched over and rough where it should have been silky and smooth. It was an absolute nightmare.