Night Out

So, a few warnings for this chapter.

WARNING: There may be a spoiler in this chapter for the movie "A Star Is Born." It's not directly stated what happens, but it is hinted. Read if you dare!

Also, this chapter does have a depressing conversation. Maybe it was just me, but I felt it took a toll on me. I don't know, but please read carefully.

Love you all tremendously. 🖤

Chapter 7:

Ruth parked across the street from the theater, and we both stepped out of the car. As I gazed up at the theatre sign, I couldn't remember the last time I went to see a movie. I knew it must've been before the scars, before the lost friendships and the loneliness, before I began to hide my face everywhere I went. But I couldn't remember who I went with or what movie we saw. I took it all for granted then, thinking it would never end.

"What movie are you thinking?" Ruth grabbed her small bag and walked to stand beside me. I read the list of movies from where we stood, wondering what we could both enjoy. It turned out that I didn't have to even bother making a decision because Ruth decided before I even could. "Ooh, A Star Is Born. Please, please, please!"

I chuckled at her begging. She knew full well that it was her money. I would watch whatever she wanted to watch.

"Sure."

Ruth grinned before rushing off to cross the street and buy the tickets. I walked a bit slower behind her, looking both ways before crossing the street. Before I did, I froze as I saw a familiar face in the distance. Zayn.

His black hair was styled up with gel or summat, and he was wearing an actual suit jacket and dress pants. I witnessed his profile as he spoke to another person in front of him. I read the sign above the building they stood in front of, and I realized that it was an art gallery.

A part of me became curious.

I wondered what that life was like-- the art world. Before the scars, I played sports with friends and acted like a regular teenager. I was into physical activity rather than the creative ones. However, my love for writing only seemed to grow after the accident.

"You coming?" Ruth called me over, waving the tickets she bought back and forth in her hand. I pulled my attention away from Zayn, and I rushed after Ruth.

We both walked into the theater, and I immediately lowered my head. There were so many people inside. I felt like the walls were closing in on me as I brushed passed the crowd behind Ruth. Finally, I bumped into her back as she came to an abrupt stop.

"Do you want popcorn or anything? I'm going to get a medium for myself."

I looked up at the menu above the concession stand, and I shook my head before lowering it again. "I'm fine."

"Now even a drink?"

"No. I don't need anything."

I could feel Ruth's stare burning into me, bit she didn't say a word. Instead, she went and stood in line for popcorn. I stood to the side, waiting patiently until she bounded back over to me with a large popcorn and a medium sized drink in her hands.

"I thought you were getting a medium."

"We're sharing. Now, c'mon."

I followed behind her, taking the popcorn out of her hands so that she could dig the tickets out of her pockets and give them to the worker. He directed us to the correct theater room, and my sister didn't even think twice before walking all the way to the top and sitting in the middle of the row. I sat beside her, handing her the popcorn back, but when she gave me a pointed look, I reached into the bucket and grabbed some popcorn in my hand, eating it for Ruth's sake. She smiled and accepted the popcorn bucket before facing the screen.