Chapter 31

"You're clear on the plan, Al?" Sergeant Erin Lindsay asked Detective Alvin Olinsky, her second-in-command. With them in her office was Detective Jay Halstead.

"Yes. When you send the signal, I wait ten minutes before sending the uniforms in to toss the place. They'll have instructions to make sure you get away, without making it look at all like they're letting you get away."

"Perfect," Lindsay said.

Going undercover was something Halstead hadn't done for some time. Despite the dangers that kind of work brought, he was looking forward to it. He always found being undercover something of an adrenaline rush, and it could lead to successful closures of big cases if done right. Plus, on this occasion, he and Lindsay would be going under posing as a couple. In its own way that would be fun, since they actually were a couple. Fun wasn't the objective, of course. There was an illegal gambling setup to infiltrate, and if their information had their facts right, there was some gun running going on as a side operation. The goal was to shut the whole thing down and arrest everyone involved. But getting that far was going to take time.

He knew that Lindsay wouldn't have assigned herself to the undercover work out of choice. She was doing it out of necessity. Burgess wasn't available for it because she had an infant son to care for, and Purrazzo couldn't do it because she was too inexperienced. That left Erin as the only option, not that Jay was going to complain.

After another few minutes of conversation, Lindsay broke up the meeting and followed the two men out into the main Intelligence room. It was evening, and the shift was coming to an end. The team were tidying their desks and putting on their coats. It was only Lindsay, Halstead and Olinsky who were going to be pulling in the overtime money.

"Alright for some, isn't it?" Lindsay said in humour. "I should have found something for the rest of you to do tonight."

"We've got something to do. We're heading to Molly's," Atwater quipped. 'We' clearly meant him and Purrazzo, who was standing near his desk.

"You kids have fun," Olinsky said, his sense of humour making a rare appearance.

"We're friends, Uncle Al," Purrazzo chirped back at him, drawing laughter from everyone.

"Uncle? Or Grandpa?" Zelina Vega asked from where she was perched on Burgess's desk.

"Careful, I'm in charge tomorrow. I'll have you cleaning the bathrooms," Olinsky said, to more laughter.

Lindsay spoke next. "Right, before Halstead and I go home to change, as you know, Olinsky will be in charge in my absence. Burgess, I want you working with Atwater. Ruzek, you'll be with Purrazzo. Don't teach her any more bad habits."

"Understood," Ruzek said with a grin.

"Stay safe," Purrazzo said, directing it mainly at Halstead, who after all was her partner.

"Will do," he said, and with that the group started to break up for the night. Halstead walked out with Lindsay and Olinsky.

"Pick me up from my place in an hour," Lindsay said.

Halstead nodded. "You got it." He couldn't wait to see what she was going to wear for their undercover night out.

BREAK

Jay parked his car outside of Erin's house exactly fifty seven minutes later. The thought crossed his mind that she hopefully wouldn't live there much longer, one way or the other. Her search for somewhere else to rent was ongoing, as was her avoidance of his offer to officially move in with him. He understood that, though. Moving in with him would mean telling Voight, and telling Voight would mean drama, guaranteed. Right now, their relationship was good without drama, and he wanted to keep it that way as much as she did. Besides, Erin spent pretty much every night at his place anyway.