Chapter 134

Erin had kept quiet all day about her conversation with Sam Miller. She had wanted to wait to tell Jay until they were at home so that she could also tell Clementine at the same time.

After dinner, with Kayla in the kitchen cleaning up and doing the dishes and Henry asleep in his crib in his bedroom, Erin and Jay were sat together on one couch in the living room, with Clem on the other one because she liked having plenty of space when the chance was there.

"So, I spoke to Sam Miller today," Erin said when there was a suitable gap in the conversation.

"About what we talked about before?" Jay asked, mindful that the promotion subject hadn't been mentioned to Clementine as yet.

"Yes. It turns out the mayor turned my name down flat for the job we talked about, but I was fine with that because I had decided to turn it down anyway."

"Oh, you had?" he asked. It wasn't a great surprise that she had made the decision without telling him first. That was just how she handled her work life, and he was used to it by now.

"Yeah. After thinking it through, I realised I couldn't walk away from Intelligence, for the reasons we talked about before. So when Miller told me I had been turned down, I wasn't too disappointed. Then she told me she had good news."

"Really?" Jay asked, a smile appearing on his face.

"Yes. She's put me in for a fast track promotion to Lieutenant."

"Oh, awesome! Congrats, babe," he said, giving her a kiss. "Hear that, Clem? Your mom got a promotion at work. She's going to be a lieutenant soon."

Clem put her iPad down and looked at Erin. "That's sick. Does that mean you're going to be in charge of all the cops?"

"No, Clem. I'm still going to do the same job, just for more money."

"Cool."

"Congratulations is what you should say, Clem," Jay told her gently. "And maybe come give your mom a hug too."

Clementine was actually quite an affectionate kid, as far as teenagers went. She got up without hesitation and gave Erin a hug. "Well done, mom. I hope I can be as good at wrestling as you are at being a cop."

Erin studied her for a couple of seconds after the hug. "You're serious about wanting to wrestle, aren't you?"

"I'm going to wrestle," Clem vowed. "I just don't know how yet."

A few times now, Jay had experienced moments like that. Their daughter was growing up fast, and in some ways it was scary. Wrestling was something she certainly seemed determined about. Maybe now Erin had a pay rise coming, they could look into the cost of wrestling lessons, maybe starting with a few just to see if Clem possessed whatever talents were necessary.

"Your dad and I will look into it," Erin said.

"You've said that before," Clem replied with obvious disappointment.

"No, we said we'd talk about it. Now I'm saying we'll look into it. Won't we, Jay?"

He nodded. "We will. But we're not made of money, Clem. If it's too expensive, we won't be able to afford it. You understand that, right?"

"Yes, I do. Thank you. Ruth's dad might be able to do something about the cost. Ruth wants to take lessons too, so maybe we could go together?"

"Maybe we'll talk to him," Jay said.

-----

Later, after Clementine had gone to bed, Erin and Jay sat cuddled up on the couch. They'd had a glass of wine each, and it had been delightful after a long day for both of them.