Chapter 141

By Monday morning, Lindsay had made decisions about the future direction of Intelligence. Over the weekend she had put a lot of thought into Kevin Atwater's replacement, as well as into Raquel Gonzalez's request to be considered for promotion to sergeant and to be second-in-command of the unit, which in reality would probably leave her in charge quite often once Lindsay's promotion to lieutenant went through.

As was often the case, she decided to get the big business done as soon as she was settled into her office. On this particular morning it was Vega who brought her the first coffee of the day.

"Thanks, Z. Have Adam and Raquel come in, would you?"

"Sure," Vega said before leaving the office.

Moments later, Ruzek walked in with Gonzalez right behind him.

"Close the door and have a seat," Lindsay said in a pleasant enough tone.

Gonzalez closed the door, and they took the two seats in front of Lindsay's desk.

"Okay," Lindsay began. "Adam, as you know, Raquel approached me about promotion to sergeant, and becoming second-in-command in Intelligence."

"I'm aware," he said, not needing to add that he wasn't exactly thrilled about it.

"Well here's where I'm at with it. You had an extended chance to show what you can do while I was on maternity. You did good work, as I've previously said. I do think it's fair that you, Raquel, get a chance too. So you're going to lead the team for the foreseeable future. If your work and leadership are of a high enough standard, I'm prepared to put you forward for promotion."

"Thank you. I'll do my best," Gonzalez promised.

"Adam, I assume this isn't going to be a problem for you?" Lindsay asked.

"Boss, let's all level with each other. It seems pretty obvious that you want Raquel to get the gig. If you didn't, you would have told her you already had a second, and there was no position to try for. At first, when Raquel told me about your conversation, I was pissed off. But after having a bit of time to think about it, I can see where you're coming from. She has seniority, and I'm not going to be eligible for promotion to sergeant for some time. So, if I may, I've got a suggestion. I can get behind Raquel taking charge when you're absent, and maybe permanently if you move up the ladder, so long as I get to be her second, and I mean permanently. I'll the word of both of you."

Lindsay and Gonzalez both thought about that for a moment.

"That sounds fair enough to me," was Lindsay's verdict. She was happy not to have to worry about conflict within the unit, and Ruzek's maturity was impressive. "Raquel? If you agree, I agree."

"I don't have a problem making that deal." She offered her hand to Ruzek, who shook it.

"Then it's agreed. But you've still got to earn it though, Raquel," Lindsay warned her. "This is all hypothetical until you prove to me you've got what it takes to lead. If you don't, Adam will get the job, you'll stay as a detective, and someone else will be his second. Understood?"

"Absolutely," Gonzalez said seriously.

"Good. No time like the present, so when we're done here you'll take charge of the team, and you'll be the one to tell them. That a problem?"

"No, ma'am," Gonzalez assured her.

"Okay then. There is something else I want to talk to the two of you about before I let you go. Atwater. We need a replacement. I have two names on my radar. One is Amanda Rose. Ruze, you remember her of course."

"Yes. She lost out to Purrazzo when they both had trial periods here. It was a close run thing, as I remember it."

Lindsay nodded. "It was. Pretty much a coin flip to be honest. I'd have taken them both at the time if there had been the budget."