Chapter 70

Sometimes, undercover work could be tough. Today it was tough for Raquel Gonzalez because there had been a mass shooting in the city where she worked as a detective. One of her colleagues had apparently been on the scene, and had put down both shooters if the TV news was to be believed. But Gonzalez couldn't break her cover to learn more, or to check on Kim Burgess. All she could do was continue in her role as Victoria Fernandez.

The morning after the shooting, with Zelina Vega having departed the safe house, Gonzalez decided to do the most likely thing that Fernandez would do, which was to go meet up with the rest of the MC at either Lynch's or Integrity Auto. They would all be showing up and getting together in one place or the other, she felt sure.

It was times like this when being under got strange. Feeling the need to talk to people about the atrocity, the only option she had was the people she was working to bring down. And in a moment like this, she assumed they would be genuinely united in their shock and anger at what had happened. The MC were criminals of course. They ran drugs. They killed rivals from time to time. But massacring innocent men, women and children? That was something else entirely, and they would be as appalled by it as anyone else.

When she arrived at the location of the bar and the repair shop, Gonzalez saw bikes parked outside the bar. Sure enough, the club had gathered together. She parked her own bike at the end of the line, then went inside.

Lynch's wasn't supposed to be open this early, and indeed it wasn't for anyone but the MC. Some of the members were sitting at the bar, eating fried breakfasts. Becky Lynch, the place's Irish owner, was behind the bar. Ruby Riot and Liv Morgan were not there, although Gonzalez had seen Riot's bike outside in its usual spot.

"Morning, Victoria," Shayna Baszler said, seeing her come in. Her tone was fairly sombre. If anything, the fact that she showed civility towards the Prospect said most of all about the current mood in the room.

"Morning, everyone," Gonzalez said, taking her gloves off as she walked to the bar. "Hoped you'd be here. Couldn't sit there watching the news any longer."

"I hear you," Dakota Crowley said.

"Park your ass and Becky will make you some breakfast," Sarah Logan said.

"What would you like, lass?" Lynch asked in a strong Irish accent.

"One of those looks good," Gonzalez said, eyeing up the fried breakfast that Baszler was halfway through. Usually, she kept to a strict diet to maintain her physique and fitness. Considering how she was feeling today though, a cheat day seemed like a good idea.

"Coming up," Lynch said. With that, she went through to the back, heading for the kitchen. Gonzalez was glad she had given the place a thorough clean after starting work at the bar. Before that, she wouldn't have wanted to eat any food that was cooked in there.

"Ah, Prospect! I thought you might show up." It was Ruby Riot, returning from the bathroom, apparently.

"Morning," Gonzalez said.

"Come outside," Riot ordered in her usual no nonsense manner.

Gonzalez got up, and because she was closer to the bar's entrance at the time, ended up leading the way outside.

When she got out there, she was surprised by Riot coming up behind her and embracing her with one arm. It was a totally new kind of gesture from the President.

"Logan told me all about last night. You did good, Prospect," Riot said quietly, talking near her ear. She raised her other hand to where Gonzalez could see it. There was a roll of notes in it. "This is three hundred bucks. Your first money you've made as a member of this MC. Keep it up, and there will be more where that came from. A lot more."