Chapter 105

BOOK SEVEN

Burgess Meets the President – a short story

"Try to brighten up, Kim," Adam Ruzek said. They were in Washington DC, making their way through the airport, having just arrived from Chicago. The next morning, Kim was due at the White House to meet the President, who would present her with the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor for her actions on that infamous night at the Lakeside Mall.

"I can't be bright about being forced to do something I don't want to do, Adam," Kim said. They were at baggage claim, where she stood with her arms folded and a sullen look on her face. "I told Erin I didn't want recognition for it. I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to relive it. I did what I did that night because it had to be done. Yes, I know she passed that on to Miller, but ultimately no one seems to have given a fuck how I feel. Right now, I'd rather be in the bullpen working than standing here."

"Even with Gonzalez?" he quipped.

"Stop it!" she laughed, which had of course been his intention. "I like Raquel. You like Raquel. You just enjoy making jokes at her expense because she looks tougher than you do."

Adam laughed loudly. "Savage, Kim. Savage."

"True, though," she grinned. "By the sound of it, she did a great job looking after Z while she recovered. Or, started recovering I guess I should say."

Only a few days earlier, Zelina Vega had returned to work after being shot in the back. She was making progress on her road to recovery, and was now well enough to be able to sit at a desk all day without the pain from her healing trapezius muscle getting too much to bear. Her return had been a morale boost for the Intelligence team, which was now complete again.

Kim knew that wouldn't be the case for long, however. Erin was pregnant, although apart from Jay, Kim was the only member if the team who knew. As she had been taken into confidence, she hadn't even told Adam. It wouldn't be long before Erin started to show, and at that point Chicago PD regulations required her to place herself on light duties. In practical terms, she that meant she would have to be at the 21st full time, while the rest of the unit worked crime scenes.

That was for the future though. The more immediate concern was the White House visit. Much as she resented being forced to go through with it despite both Sergeant Lindsay and Deputy Superintendent Miller knowing that she didn't want to, she supposed she was going to have to resolve herself to it. She could hardly adopt a miserable attitude while meeting the President. No, she would have to be polite and gracious.

"Here's your case," Adam said, pointing at the luggage that was coming through on the conveyor. Inside was Kim's full dress uniform. The next day, she would need it.

-----

The next morning, there had been time for nice breakfast in the hotel's restaurant before Adam and Kim had needed to get back to their room to prepare for their White House visit. Now, with Adam sitting behind her on the bed, wearing his best black suit with a white shirt and a dark blue tie, she looked at herself in the mirror. Her uniform looked impeccable, in her opinion.

"I think I'm set, Adam. How do I look?"

"You look like you'll appear smarter than the President when they take whatever pictures they want to take."

"Ugh, I forgot they're going to want to photograph everything too. I'm going to have to stand there and make nice with someone I didn't even vote for, while I get an award I don't want, for the sake of publicity. Remind me again why I work for the Police Department?"

Adam got up and joined her, putting an arm around her shoulders. "Come on, Kim. Positive today, remember? You're a cop because you want to help good people and put bad people in jail, and you're very good at doing it. As for today, try to see the positive in it. Seeing a female cop being commended by the President for bravery might inspire some young girls to want to become cops. That has to make it worthwhile, right?"